Chapter 27

"Spider, make sure that hole is sealed nice and tight. We don't want any rain leaking in." Sheer Mountain commanded. "And Ginger, Flick and Poppy, keep gathering moss. We have a lot of nests to make. These are going to be permanent so work hard on them." Sheer Mountain had found it natural to start guiding her Clanmates with the help of Nettle.

They had made some poor makeshift nests after the Clan cats had left to get some sleep, but now that they were well rested, the real work began. She had some cats getting the dens situation, other gathering materials as well as hunting parties and the first border patrols.

They had been hard at work all day, and as the sun started to set, Sheer Mountain knew what awaited her. I can't put this off any longer. "Nettle," Sheer Mountain called to her deputy. "You have this under control right?"

"Is it time?" Nettle asked nervously.

"I think so." Sheer Mountain sighed, trying to hide her fear.

"You'll do great." Nettle assured her and Sheer Mountain looked for Cocoa. The brown she-cat had been working hard to gather herbs and keep her store well stocked. Sheer Mountain stepped into her den.

"Are you ready?" Cocoa jumped slightly and spun around.

"Y-yeah." She took a breath. You can't eat before this right? Not even herbs."

"That's what Earthpelt said." Sheer Mountain replied. "We better get going." After some good luck calls from her Clanmates, Sheer Mountain and Cocoa set out into their territory, going towards the LichenClan border.

Sheer Mountain barely knew their territory, but she hoped that in time she would be able to know it as well as she knew her old home. "What do you think is going to happen?" Cocoa questioned. "Did they explain it to you?"

Sheer Mountain shook her head. "They don't know how it works, none of them are leaders. It's something I'll be doing without any insight unfortunately, but they promised StarClan would guide me."

"They sure put a lot of faith in StarClan." Cocoa pointed out.

"StarClan got us this far." Sheer Mountain countered. "Surely they'll us even farther." They padded along the river bank until Sheer Mountain spotted Roseheart sitting near the border.

"There you are." Roseheart called kindly.

"Sorry," Sheer Mountain dipped her head. "Still getting used to the territory."

"It's alright." Roseheart assured them. "The Spirit Garden is this way." Sheer Mountain and Cocoa followed behind Roseheart towards the mountains in between AshClan and LichenClan territory.

"So is there anything special we need to do?" Sheer Mountain questioned. "Have you ever done this?"

"I watched Timberstar earn his nine lives." Roseheart replied. "When you get to the Spirit Garden, lie down and close your eyes. StarClan will do the rest. Just remember that whatever you see and whatever StarClan tells you, you cannot share with any other cat."

"Really?" Sheer Mountain questioned in disbelief.

Roseheart nodded. "Unless StarClan gives you permission, it must stay between you and the stars." This must be really serious. Sheer Mountain thought. They reached the base of a narrow path that twisted up towards the mountains, it followed the river up towards the higher mountains. "Follow this path." Roseheart instructed. "There's a cavern at the top, go inside of it and you will find the Spirit Garden. Good luck and may StarClan light your path." Roseheart dipped her head and began returning to her own territory.

Sheer Mountain stared up the path, her heart beating rapidly in her chest. This is really it. She glanced at Cocoa who looked equally terrified. "Ready?"