Chapter 15

Owlpaw rose from her nest, she stepped out into the chilly early morning air and breathed in the scent of the mountains. She was eagerly waiting for tomorrow, as it was the meeting to try and recruit cats for the new Clan. She was eager to see how many cats would join them. However, despite her excitement one worry still clung to her mind. The Clan needs a medicine cat. Owlpaw had been desperately looking for any signs that Mosscloud might have sent but she hadn't seen anything, she was starting to worry that she had missed it.

Owlpaw padded out into the open cavern, some cats were already awake and eating their morning prey. Owlpaw approached Earthpelt who was sitting with Leafdawn and Berryheart. "Good morning." Owlpaw dipped her head.

"Morning, Owlpaw." Earthpelt purred.

"Where's everyone else?" Owlpaw questioned, looking around.

"Seedclaw took the other apprentices out hunting." Leafdawn explained. "It gives me a bit of a break from Slatepaw." She chuckled. "I know he hates hunting with others, but him dealing with Seedclaw could do some good."

"I've been curious about something, Leafdawn." Berryheart spoke up, getting the she-cats attention. "Why did Riverstar chose Slatepaw for this journey? I understand why she chose you, but Slatepaw is so arrogant and disrespectful."

"That's exactly why Riverstar chose him. She was hoping that this journey would instill some discipline in him. It may not seem like it, but I think it has made him better. From the moment Slatepaw became my apprentice I knew he would be a pawful. He has a lot of skills, and he knows it. He just needs to know that it doesn't make him better than any other cat."

"I honestly don't see how you can handle him." Earthpelt sighed. "Owlpaw's brother, Oakpaw is also rather arrogant but not nearly as bad as Slatepaw." Owlpaw thought about her brother, Oakpaw was confident and a little arrogant but he wasn't downright disrespectful and rude to those around him." I miss him. Owlpaw thought sadly, she wondered how her siblings were doing. I hope their training is going well. Do they miss me? Are they worried about me?

"It takes a lot of patience." Leafdawn chuckled. "And a little bit of losing my temper and putting him in his place." She twitched her tail. "Though what Slatepaw fails to realize that, if this journey doesn't improve his attitude, he won't become a warrior until he does. If it takes him watching his sisters become warriors without him."

Owlpaw thought that might be a little harsh, but it would probably work for Slatepaw. If I become a medicine cat, Owlpaw noted. Then I won't become a warrior with my siblings. She glanced at her paws for a moment. But that's okay. I'll support them and they will support me.

A few moments later, Seedclaw returned with Fennelpaw, Slatepaw and Leopardpaw behind him. Each of them had jawfuls of prey. They set it down on the rather large fresh-kill pile. "Good hunting." Leafdawn praised.

"Thank you." Seedclaw dipped his head. "Leopardpaw came up with the idea of providing prey to the cats who come to our meeting tomorrow. We'll obviously keep some for ourself but they might think better on full bellies."

"That's a great idea, Leopardpaw." Berryheart purred, praising her apprentice.

"Or it's going to show every rouge that we have plenty of prey to spare and they can attack us again." Slatepaw grumbled, sitting down next to Leafdawn.

"What's it like living with that constant rain cloud over your head, Slatepaw?" Leopardpaw questioned. "It won't kill you to actually be a little happy. For example, the quicker we get this done the quicker all of us can get away from you."

Owlpaw couldn't help but let out a laugh as did the rest of their travelmates at Slatepaw's expense. He slumped his shoulder and grimaced, not responding other than letting out a low growl.