you look perfect tonight

pairing: kakashi x iruka
type: fluff
setting: konoha
era: after the war

summary: the sixth hokage's wedding is held.

xxx

It took half a year for Kakashi of the sharingan to legalize gay marriage in Konoha, and even longer to permit adoption. The elders just don't understand his logic. They're old and were not raised to believe in homosexuality. To them, it's a fraud and should not be authorized anywhere. Ever.

However, what they fail to understand is that there have been multiple queer kages, two of which are hokages. The elders have worked for Hashirama and Kakashi all the while failing to realize their homosexuality. The first was bisexual, and the sixth is demisexual. The rumored future seventh is pansexual.

Eventually, after some rather loud conflicts, the elders gave in. It was on a sunny day in May that gay marriage was legalized in Konohagakure. Many celebrated and made sure to display their dismay of the new authority.

The citizens of the Leaf do not know why Kakashi pushed himself so hard to qualify the feat. He gave at least thirty minutes each day to legalization of homosexuality and equality all for one purpose: he himself was already engaged. On Christmas day, he and Iruka Umino got engaged. It was heavenly and it will forever live in their memories.

The next week, Kakashi made it his number one priority to discuss the wedding, however before he could it dawned on him: there had not been one gay marriage since the creation of this village. Later, Shikamaru explained how it had never happened because the possibility was nonexistent.

Only after the goal was met did he spread the word of his engagement. Yeah, there would be backlash. Of course, people would not be pleased. Some would disrespect him as hokage, but that's okay. As long as he gets to marry the love of his life, he's okay. Besides, what are they gonna do about it? Overthrow him? He could annihilate them in ten minutes if they tried.

Then came the question: Who would walk Iruka down the aisle?

Since neither of them have parents, there is no one to join them during the walk. So, Kakashi allowed Iruka to ask a very special someone rather than walking alone.

"Course I'll do it!" Naruto smiled, patting his sensei's shoulder. Iruka walked Naruto down the aisle at his and Sasuke's wedding, so this is only fate.

One of the most memorable reactions were of Might Guy. Tears immediately spewed from his face as he sobbed about this lovely, 'youthful' experience. He will be his best friend's best man.

Iruka's 'bridesmaids' are his ex-students - the ladies, that is. Tenten, Ino, Sakura and Hinata will accompany Iruka as his bridesmaids.

Kakashi still remembers meeting Iruka; how could he not? They were both young, with Iruka having just passed the chuunin exams. Iruka was fourteen and Kakashi was eighteen, though he passed the exam almost ten years ago at that point. Kakashi didn't really say anything in the presence of his underclassman, but he adored his determination. It was when Iruka became a teacher at the academy (ages twenty-two and twenty-six) that they got to know one other as more than shinobi. One thing lead to another, and before long Kakashi was waiting in the library for Iruka to finish his duties. He'd read in that little chair until Iruka could accompany him to their home.

Love was never a priority to Kakashi. He seems to lose everyone close to him, and the thought of losing someone like that is unbearably sad. Plus, as he aged, the possibility of finding a lover seemed to fade off. But, Iruka crosses the boundary and drowns Kakashi in so much love that he can't help but splash back.

Right now is the night before their wedding. Iruka is a little jittery, but overall he's excited. Kakashi is still at the office but he has Naruto to accompany him. "You'll do great," his student reassures him with a 'Naruto grin.' Iruka lightens up slightly and nods. "I sure hope so."

"Yeah, well I never expected you to fall in love with Kakashi-sensei!" He revels, seeing Iruka chuckle. "If you told me while I was thirteen or so I would've freaked out." Iruka tilts his head, asking, "Why so?"

"Well, the first reason is 'cause you're both boys. I would've asked a million questions!" The older man nods along. "Yeah." Naruto continues, "And the second reason is because it's you two. If I knew both my sensei's were together, I would've gone bonkers!"

"Is that so?" Kakashi's voice echoes down the hallway. Iruka softly smiles at the voice of his fiancee. Standing up, Naruto gives him a nod and Iruka walks down to greet the hokage. "Welcome home, love," he smiles, cupping Kakashi's cheeks between his hands. Their lips meet in a joyful kiss - the perfect gesture to symbolize, 'welcome home.'

It was a soft night filled with cuddles by the fireplace, Kakashi (maskless as always around Iruka) whispering sweet nothings to his boyfriend. Iruka would rub their noses together in small bunny kisses, speaking, 'I'm staying with you forever.'

xxx

Scrap jitters. It's full on panic mode.

What if he trips in front of everyone? Will Kakashi think he doesn't look good? What if the food is poisoned? What if...

"Iruka-sensei," an almost gravelly voice breaks his trance. "What's wrong? What do you need?" Iruka looks up at his student, wiping the tears from his eyes. "Just some water, please," he requests. Naruto nods and calls over to someone, probably Sakura.

A few moments later the girl hands her sensei a small bottle of water. "Kakashi-sensei wanted me to tell you that everything will be okay," he whispers to Iruka. He sips the water and nods. "Okay, I can do this." Naruto and Sakura smile.

xxx

Champagne. Delicious food. Blasting music. Those are some of the few contents of their wedding. Not only is it lavish, but it's content and small. They wouldn't want hundreds of guests, but there's a fair share.

Of course the Konoha Eleven (plus Sasuke) and Konohamaru were invited. Other squad leaders such as Yamato, Kurenai and her son and Genma were invited, along with the fifth hokage. The Kazekage, Gaara was invited and other kages sent the pair gifts.

Naruto was permitted to give a speech to everyone.

"Iruka-sensei, you were the first person to believe in me. You saw my potential when no one else did, and because of you, here I am.

"Kakashi-sensei, you've done so much for me that it's hard to express. You were also one of the first to believe in my potential and helped me pursue it because you saw something. Thank you."

But what they never heard was, "Iruka-sensei, I truly believe you are my father."

xxx

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, we're listenin' to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my armsBarefoot on the grass, we're listenin' to our favorite songWhen you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breathBut you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

xxx

part 2..? also below is a video from boruto where kakashi takes off his mask in front of iruka. I think it's safe to say they're canon lmao (it's at the end :)

1226 words