broken wings

pairing: sasuke x naruto
type: angsty fluff
setting: konoha
era: around nineteen years old

summary: I don't know anything, but I know I miss you

xxx

sometimes, sasuke did not know a lot about what he was doing. sometimes all he knew was where it all went wrong. sometimes all he knew was that he left the village and scarred people with insurmountable amounts of heartache. sometimes all he knew was that the worst thing he ever did is what he did to naruto. he saw it all in his dreams.

after one of these experiences, the only thing he would want to do is make it up to naruto. he would want to run on the broken cobblestone streets and up the stairs to naruto's apartment. he would knock on the door while underneath the front porch light and once naruto answered he'd kiss him in the doorway for the entire world to see.

but sasuke was only seventeen. he didn't know anything because he was too young to fully understand life. 

that was two years ago. this is now.

still, the only thing he wants to do is make it up to naruto, so he showed up at his apartment. the clock he caught a glimpse of on the streets read 2:51 am, so it must be near three o'clock at night.

with a deep and shaky sigh, sasuke knocks on the door. 'it's only naruto,' he thinks to himself. 'he won't be mad at me.'

they haven't spoken in over three months. for one thing it was too awkward for sasuke to interact with him, and then they were both on missions. either that or they both avoided one another to avoid the prolonging pain of love that was "not mutual".

now they're both back and he felt prepared for this, but as of now that isn't the case.

about twenty seconds pass and nothing happens. sasuke grunts and knocks again, this time with more force. with crossed arms, he leans back onto the railing and allows the pressure to load onto him. he feels his palms sweat as he can hear naruto's footsteps. will this patch naruto's broken wings or will it tear sasuke's as well?

'this is the only time i can dream about what will happen when he sees my face again.'

naruto clears his throat as he opens the door, most likely from sleeping and having a rough voice. while wiping his eyes, sasuke steps forward as he was unable to contain himself for another two seconds. he hears naruto gasp as he places a hand on his shoulder. naruto's eyes widen tenfold and it's almost as if the blue orbs are trying to burn a hole through sasuke's skull. "sasuke," he mutters as that's the only word that he can think of. they dreamt of one another for years, so.. what now? sasuke's planned this out for weeks, and this is what he does.

he tugs sasuke inside and with no expression at all motions for sasuke to follow him down the dark hallway. perplexed, sasuke trails behind with his hands in his pockets. he looks around naruto's bedroom, and it's cleaner than he imagined it would be. naruto grabs his wrists and sits him down on his bed. it's not necessarily small but it's not ideal, either.

"it's cold," sasuke mutters. naruto looks up and crouches down. he reaches underneath his bed and pulls out a blue shoe box that looks old and beat-up. inside seems to be an old cardigan. it's various shades of blue and white and has tattered threads in parts. "it was my mom's," naruto explains and loosely wraps it around sasuke's shoulders. the latter nods and watches as naruto boldly sits on his lap. he adjusts and cups sasuke's pale cheek. "good?" he asks with a shaky voice, and all sasuke can do is nod, hoping for the best.

their third kiss.

naruto feels his entire body heat up. he remembers the thoughts and emotions he held as a teenager, and the film titled 'finding sasuke' replays in his mind. he remembers people saying that he was young and didn't know anything.

when they pull away, naruto whispers, "i knew you'd come back to me."

it was just like the dreamt it.

xxx

happy ending. <3

724 words