death by a thousand cuts

pairing: past naruto x hinata, sakura x hinata
type: angst
setting: konoha
era: the last

summary: saying goodbye is death by a thousand cuts.

a/n: yes I ship sakuino and sakuhina, deal with it

xxx

hinata's pov

I don't remember the entire story, but I just woke up with a killer headache. I'm on the couch and all I'm wearing is a sports bra and some sweatpants. "Hey, where is Naruto?" I mumble. "Oh yeah," I recall, "he left."

I glance up and see the closed curtains. The light flickers. 'Wow, I'm a mess,' I think walking into the bathroom. I really let this get to me... and that's not okay. Hey, wait... why is Sakura here too!?

Oh yeah, this is her house. That makes sense.

I sneak out of the house after taking my shirt back. It's a cool morning, and a long walk should clear my head. I've decided to take the long way home.
"Will things be okay?" I ask the streetlight. It says, "I don't know."

There is no 'us' anymore. It's just him and I. Something happened, and we died down.

Looking to my right, I see a bewildered Naruto, and start sprinting back home. Frick the connected paths of the Leaf Village. Now we'll see each other everywhere and things will be awkward...

Naruto said he loved me and that we were meant to be. he said it was a story which Jiraiya would worship, but if the story is over, why am I still writing pages?

the next day

Saying goodbye is harder than it sounds, which is upsetting because it sounds tragic. Another memory woke me up and again... my head is throbbing. I got drunk again, but it's not enough. I'm just unable to accept that Naruto isn't mine anymore.

Climbing up to my feet, I glance out the window. The sun flashes through the curtain and stares into my lilac eyes.

I should bring our issue up. Naruto... it wasn't right. it was wrong of him.

Is there a part of me he didn't touch? He gave up on me as if I were a bad drug, and now I'm searching for the expiration date. He said our love didn't have one, but that's ironic for someone like him to say.

Naruto would calm me down with the touch of his hand or voice. Our village was perfect and we were finally happy. "United we stand," he said.

He was constantly with me. He was my spirit, and I gave him all of my time and trust.

And what hurts is I gave him so much! I always loved him and was the first to accept him, but it wasn't enough.

the next day

Sakura stayed with me last night. We got drunk, yet it still wasn't enough to distract me. She is currently making us waffles.
I've been instructed to drink lots of water.

The light flickers again.

I keep pretending everything is okay, when it really isn't! He killed me essentially, but... I should just accept it instead of letting it control me. I want to, but it's hard when I can't find a part of me he didn't touch.

Sakura hands me the plate, looking down on me. We stare into each others eyes before she moves my bangs aside and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead. I blush and pick up the fork.

"Is it gonna be alright?" I ask the medical ninja. After a few minutes, she says, "I don't know."

xxx

ok ok, I despise hinata in the show, but in fanfiction she's alright :)

605 words