The break up

RILEY
It had now been 1 year since Adrian was born and since I kicked Tash's butt at prom, but not everything was going as smoothly as we would have wanted it. Unfortunately, Jack and I hadn't yet found an apartment, which meant we still lived in my house. Jack was staying at work late, constantly coming home at 11pm, maybe even stopping at the bar for a drink or two before he returned home. Jack wasn't being as loving and kind as he usually was, mostly just ignoring me when he got home. On multiple occasions, Jack would leave and he wouldn't return home for a while. I had my suspicions. Maybe there was another woman in his life he wasn't telling me about. I watched as Jack went to head upstairs.

"Jack! We need to talk." I said, my voice becoming stern. Jack stood still, turning around as he gave me a pissed off look.

"What is it Riley?! I need to go say goodnight to my daughter!" Jack said, taking another step towards the stairs.

"No! Stay here!" I spoke, getting angrier. My voice was beginning to hurt.

"What is it?! I can tell that you're upset at me and I want to know why!" Jack spoke, his voice becoming deeper as he stood further away from me.

"Are you seeing another girl? Is there another woman in your life?" I asked, not bothering to sugar coat the question.

"What?! NO! You know me Riley! You know I would never do that to you!" Jack said, his eyes lit up with hurt as I made such an accusation.

"Then what is it? Why are you so distant?" I asked, inching closer to him.

"What are you talking about?" Jack asked, clearly not thinking straight.

"You come home late nearly every night, sometimes drunk. You never show me love or affection. I feel like I'm losing you!" I said, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Maybe you are losing me!" Jack said, not thinking.

"W-What?" I asked, my heart sinking.

"Ever since Adrian was born, I haven't done anything I want to do! It's all about her. Jack, feed Adrian! Jack, Adrian needs a diaper change! Jack! I've never done anything for me!" Jack said.

"That's what happens when you have a kid Jack! Your priorities change! Your schedule becomes less about you and more about the child!" I said, reminding him about what my mother taught him.

"You're just as demanding as the baby is!" Jack said, pointing to me.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

"You keep demanding things as if I was your servant and not your boyfriend!" Jack said, his voice sounding broken.

"Don't you get it? I have to be demanding when your home since I'm a 'stay at home mom' 24/7! You leave this house expecting me to do all the work! Parenting isn't a single person job! But apparently you don't care since you leave everything to me. You think I want to stay at home and take care of a child? No! But she's my daughter and I'm trying to be a good parent!" I said, my voice slightly raised.

I calmed myself down before I stood closer to him.

"Remember what you said...the day I told you that I was pregnant?" I asked, hoping he would remember.
———
"Hey...hey...don't cry..." Jack said, holding my hand once again. He wiped the tears from my cheek.

"Now's your chance. Go...while you still can..." I said, expecting Jack to get out and run home, never speaking to me again.

"Why would I leave?" Jack spoke, confused.

"Because...you're 18...you have a life and I just told you that I am pregnant with your baby. I ruined your life..." I spoke, looking down at my flat stomach.

"No. You didn't ruin my life. Yes...this is not what I was expecting but...I'm not abandoning you or this baby like your father did..." Jack said, placing his hand on my stomach. Hearing him say that he wouldn't abandon me like my father did gave me a little bit of hope.
———
I could see that Jack remembered what happened since his posture changed and he looked much calmer.

"You said that you would not abandon me or the baby like my father did..." I said, saying it verbally.

"Well...times change. People...change..." Jack said, emphasising the word 'people'. His voice was now empty. His eyes drained of emotion as he looked at me.

"So t-this is it? You're gonna l-leave and never come b-back?" I asked, my words beginning to stutter.

"Looks like it..." He said, turning around.

JACK
After the argument, I ran upstairs, quietly packing everything I owned into a bag. As I began to leave, I saw my daughter, little Adrian, sleeping in her crib.

"I'm so sorry Adrian..." I said, letting a tear fall. I kissed the top of her head before walking out of the room, walking down the stairs and out the door, leaving Riley on the floor, crying. I ignored her crying as I got into my car and drove off, trying to forget about her.