Chapter 5

It's been a week since my first date with Spencer. There hasn't been complete silence since our phone call on Thursday. He has sent me a few text messages asking how I have been and I sent him jokes and song recommendations.

I walk into the office and place my bag on my desk when I notice a small box on my desk tied with a red ribbon.

Please don't be a bomb.

"Some skinny kid with glasses dropped this off for you", my coworker says.

I open the box and see a pink cupcake sitting on a piece of sketchbook paper. I take out the dessert so I can read the note.

Scribbled on the paper is a small strawberry with a smiley face with a speech bubble that said "good morning".

I smile to myself as I take out my phone. I snap a picture of the note and cupcake and send it to Spencer.

To Spencer: thanks for the treat. im glad youre back

From Spencer: I'm glad to be back. If that movie night offer still stands, I'd love to come by tonight.

To Spencer: of course. ill even let you pick the movie ;)

From Spencer: Great! I hope you've brushed up on your French.

To Spencer: not everyone is a genius like you doc. besides, the only thing "french" i want to do with you is kiss

From Spencer: I was kidding, Y/n.

To Spencer: i wasnt. see you at 8

I put my phone into my bag and start on my paperwork, trying to focus on the open case rather than my date with Spencer.

-

The day goes by slower than usual. By the time six o'clock rolled around, I already had packed up my things and practically ran out the door.

Have I ever been this excited?

While I drove home, my mind was racing, full of ideas for Spencer and I. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.

It's only Spencer, it'll be okay. Cute, sweet Spencer... My mind trailed off. Ugh! I need to clean this place up.

I walk around my apartment and pick up any garbage and put away the things that are out of place. Part of me is slightly worried that Spencer will be in my apartment but the more logical part of me knows that he probably won't notice. Right?

I shake out the blankets on the couch and refold them before adjusting the throw pillows on the cushions. I note the time, only having twenty minutes before Spencer arrives.

I go to my bedroom and pick out an outfit, wanting something more comfortable than my work clothes but still cute. I decide on a pair of sweatpants and a big crew neck sweatshirt in my favorite color. I style my hair and touch up my makeup but I am interrupted by a knock at the door. I smile to myself in the mirror and skip over to the door, pulling it open excitedly.

Spencer is standing in my doorway wearing most likely what he wore to work: purple button down with navy slacks. He completed the look with his glasses.

Fuck me, those glasses.

"Hi, Y/n", he said. "Can I come in?"

I step aside and let him through the door. I take his jacket and hang it on the rack as he searches through his bag. He pulls out a DVD case and holds it up, grinning.

"Have you seen The Notebook?", he asks. I shake my head. "You might want to get an extra box of tissues."

I flop down on the couch and look over at him, my eyebrows raised.