Chapter 29

We get back to the station and I quickly locate Spencer and the rest of the team. Noticing the officers from the crime scene standing behind their desks, I pull Spencer into a possessive kiss. He yelps against my lips but I swallow the noise. When I finally pull away, he pants as he wipes his mouth on the back of his hand. I smile at the slight lipstick stain that complements the blush on his face beautifully.

"H-hi", he stutters.

"I missed you", I say quietly.

"You were only gone for an hour"

"So? I'm not allowed to miss my boyfriend?"

"No, no, you are. I just wasn't expecting that kind of hello." He reaches into his pockets and pulls out my folded panties only slightly. "I had something to remember you by."

I slap his wrist and tell him to put them away before someone catches him.

Hotch walks through the bullpen and tells us to meet him in the conference room to discuss the profile. Everyone files into the room after him, and Spencer makes a point to draw my attention to his cane as he moves across the floor. I shoot him a glare but I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach as his confidence.

I sit on a stool next to the evidence board that Spencer put together. I try to decipher his handwriting but I am interrupted by Hotch's voice.

"I have looked over the files that Garica and Reid found and I am pretty certain we are dealing with a religious killer with multiple personalities. He sees all of his victims as dirty, inferior and sinful. He makes no effort to hide the bodies, so he doesn't feel like what he is doing is wrong. Chances are, he won't try to hide, so once we identify him, it should be fairly easy to catch him", Hotch tells the group.

Morgan calls Garcia from the laptop and her sweet voice filters out of the speakers.

"I've narrowed the search down to three suspects. Two of them live out of state but within driving distance. Our last suspect lives right in town but this suspect is a woman. She has multiple accounts of assault with a deadly weapon, but they're all over a decade old", she says.

"That's... unusual but not impossible. We should check there first", Rossi says. The rest of the team agrees and Garcia sends over the address.

"What about me, Hotch?", Spencer asks.

Hotch is quiet for a moment, most likely weighing the risk of Spencer coming into the field with us in his condition.

"You can come, but you will stay out of danger", Hotch decides.

"So you're telling me to basically wait in the car?"

"That, or you stay here and have a deep, intellectual conversation with the receptionist", Hotch says, gesturing to the old woman behind the desk. Spencer grumbles but stands anyways, walking out with the rest of the team.

Despite having to walk with a cane, Spencer's long strides help him catch up to me. He takes my wrist in his free hand and intertwines his fingers with mine.

"Have I ever told you how gorgeous you are?", he says as we walk down the ramp in the front of the building.

"A few times, but I don't mind hearing it again", I grin.

"Are you ready to catch your first unsub?", he asks. I nod.

"I just hope I don't end up like you", I gesture to his knee. He laughs sarcastically and pulls me out the door.