Chapter 23

Spencer's surgery lasted about three hours. I knew that it was only a reconstruction and would not be life threatening, but I couldn't help but worry as I sat in his empty hospital room.

When they brought him back to the room, I made sure to remind them not to give him any strong pain medications. They warned me that he may wake up in severe pain, but I knew it was better than the alternative.

I am curled up in the plush chair at his bedside when I hear him start to stir. Before I could stop him from moving too much, he lets out a pained squeal.

"Fuck", he hisses. All the pain and discomfort seems to melt from his face when his eyes meet mine. "Y/n", he breathes.

"Hi, Doc", I say softly and I take his hand in mine. "How're you feeling?"

"Like I got shot in the knee", he laughs quietly. I rub a soothing circle on his wrist with my thumb. "How are you doing?"

"You're laying in a hospital bed and you ask me how I'm doing", I smile. "I'm just glad you're okay."

We stay like that for at least fifteen minutes, just holding each other in silence.

"Hotch wants to see me as soon as I get back", I say after a while.

"What does he want?"

"I'm not sure. I don't think he has the authority to fire me, but I did go against multiple direct orders", I chuckle.

Spencer looks at me with soft eyes, like I hung the moon and stars.

"I'm so in love with you, Y/n", he says.

"I'm so in love with you, Spencer", I reply. I lean in to kiss him, but he stops me.

"I-I promise that as soon as we get home, I'll explain everything", he says, voice trembling. "I'm sure you've done your own research, but you deserve to know the full story."

"Whenever you're ready to tell me, I'm ready to listen."

This time, he allows me to kiss him. I don't escalate the kiss, only keeping it an innocent I'm glad you're back kiss.

"Did you know, hospital curtains have the most amount of germs out of any other surface?", he asks. I shake my head with a smile.

I don't believe in soulmates, but I think I might have found mine.