Chapter 17

tw// mentions of drug use

Spencer shoots up from his seat and rushes over to the bathroom. He snatches the book from my hands and holds it tightly against his chest.

"What is it, Spencer?", I ask, concerned.

"Were you going through my stuff?", he asks instead.

"No! I was just-"

"So you find my personal notebook and decide to read it?" I back up slightly, holding onto my towel.

"Spencer", I say calmly. "I didn't mean to invade your privacy and I am certainly not entitled to know anything you don't want me to, but why are you being so defensive?"

Spencer stays quiet but his inner conflict is written all over his face. He clutches the book tightly, his knuckles whitening around the spine. His eyes look glassy and slightly red around the rims, like he was about to cry. I reach out to hold onto his arm but he jumps back.

"I-I think you should go home", he whispers.

"What?"

"You need to go home. I-I'm sorry." His voice cracks and I can tell he is on the verge of tears. He steps aside so I can leave the bathroom. I run into his bedroom and redress the clothes I wore the night before. I brushed through my hair with my fingers and wipe my eyes of running makeup.

I gather the rest of my belongings and make my way towards the door. As I put my hand on the handle, I look back, hoping Spencer will tell me to stay. To my disappointment, Spencer just sits cross legged on the couch, his book shut between his legs.

"I'll call you", he says as a form of goodbye. I shut the door and run down the hall. I call an uber and wait on the sidewalk for it to arrive.

Somehow I manage to hold back tears long enough to get through my door.

He's been my boyfriend for less than 24 hours and we're already fighting.