Chapter 32

Sarah called Matthew repeatedly, hoping he would listen to her this time, yet her number remained blocked. Then she used Damon's phone, but the call didn't make it through. He suggested maybe Matthew turned his phone off.

By the time they parked outside of Matthew's home, Sarah was pale and close to fainting. She struggled to walk, and her body felt light, as if at any minute her body would float in the air, just like in her dream. Damon held her arm and guided her to the front door. He rang the bell, but Sarah slammed the door with both fists and screamed for Matthew. The door didn't open, and the lights were out through the window. She felt tempted to breaking the window, but could she? She saw a bucket next to the window. It was empty. She picked it up and saw that it was really old and the plastic was worn out. She remembered the basket she had seen in her dream. Oh God, she slammed the door even louder, but still there was no answer.

"Sarah, take a breath," Damon put his hands on her shoulders. "Breathe. She'll be okay."

She managed to breathe and relax just slightly. Damon released her and walked to the window. He looked at her with a serious look. "I trust you," he said with a solemn expression. Then he grabbed a flower pot and threw it through the window. The glass shattered to the floor. Sarah was about to jump in, but Damon stopped her.

He grabbed another pot and used it to remove all the glass from the edge of the window. Then with stepped in and told Sarah to wait. He opened the door few seconds later and she walked in. The space was dark. It looked completely different than before, absolutely devoid of life. She stood in front of the stairs, ready to go check on Jessica, when she heard music coming from the backyard. She took few steps following the music. The more steps she took, the louder the music got, until she could identify the pop music. It was very familiar, too familiar. She frozen in her spot when she remembered she had heard that song in her dream.

She ran to the backyard and Damon followed. They arrived to a scene that felt familiar to Sarah. It was her dream, but different. There were empty beer bottles all over the place. Two teenagers, a guy and a girl sat on a single chair, making out and almost naked. Another girl was passed out in another chair, only wearing her bikini. Next to her chair, Sarah noticed one single slipper. Just seeing it sent a wave of incomprehensible emotions to Sarah's heart. She looked up and saw an open window. Something told her that was Jessica's room. She felt the urge to look at the water. Within seconds she could see the whole thing as if she had been there. Jessica had jumped from the window aiming for the pool.

Damon was in the water, wearing shoes and all, he was pulling a frail pale body from the water, her limbs long and apparently lifeless, her hair tangle and messy, her face empty too soon. Sarah stood in her spot, unable to move. She looked at the two teenagers; they had stopped and were looking at Damon. The girl tried to stand up but felt to the ground and vomited in the spot. Wake up, a voice said and Sarah came instantly to her senses.

Struggling for air, she rushed to Jessica, screaming her name.

"No, no," she kneeled next to her, as Damon pushed rhythmically on Jessica's chest.

"Call the cops," Damon commanded, while still trying to bring Jessica bad, and failing.

Sarah heard a voice saying I got it. She looked up and saw the boy holding his phone next to his ear with shaky hands, and with eyes filled with tears. The girl was sitting in the chair, shivering, covered with a towel and crying no stop. The other girl was still unconscious.

Damon kept pushing, now rougher than before. Sarah saw his eyes filled with tears, and the despair was starting to show in his comments and expressions. Sarah couldn't believe the moment she was living. The part of her that tried to protect her from her worst moments took over and she was gone. The scene, Damon, Jessica, everything vanished in a cloud. And she was floating in the sky. She looked down and saw the moon; she looked up and saw the ocean. Without any will to live, she let the water swallow her. Once there, her entire body started vibrating and lighting up like a lamp. She closed her eyes and looked within at the pain and the next time she opened her eyes, Sarah was unconscious in front of her and Damon was pushing hard in her chest and crying hysterically. He looked at Sarah and repeated how sorry he was over and over. He then narrowed his eyebrows to see how calm she was.