One - Starting Anew

Starting Anew

The year was 1988 when Abbie moved to Portland, Oregon. This wasn't unusual for her; her mother, whom she considered her trusty companion, never enjoyed staying in one place for long. Because of that, Abbie had been just about anywhere, from East to West. 

From the backseat of the car, she watched the landscape shift outside the window, a blur of trees and pavement. Her mom had painted a picture of this place as vibrant and exciting, but as they pulled into their new neighborhood, Abbie felt more tired than thrilled. The excitement of a fresh start was dimmed by the weight of her ever-growing collection of cardboard boxes and memories of places she had left behind.

Peering out at the two-story brick house, she couldn't shake the familiar feeling of displacement. How many times had she settled into a new place only to pack up and leave again? Abbie longed for a sense of permanence, a wish she hoped her mom would finally share.

With a deep breath, she pushed open the car door, the cool Oregon air brushing against her skin. It smelled different here—fresher, with a hint of pine and something earthy that made her feel both uneasy and curious. She stepped out, glancing around at the neighborhood, noting how different it looked from Tampa, their last place. 

Navigating through the clutter of movers carrying furniture inside, she made her way to her new room. As she entered, Abbie was greeted by the sight of boxes stacked high, some labeled with her name, others haphazardly marked. Most of her clothes were still packed away, and a sigh escaped her lips as she felt a wave of defeat wash over her.

She had begged her mom so many times in Tampa to stay put, to build roots rather than uproot their lives every few months. Once upon a time, she relished the idea of new adventures, of meeting new people and exploring new places. But over the years, that excitement had dulled. Abbie realized she didn't really have friends anymore; she was too preoccupied with the thought of moving on to invest in anyone. The few friendships she had formed vanished with every relocation, leaving her feeling more isolated with each new address.

Abbie let herself fall onto her bed, the weight of the day pressing down on her. She stared at the ceiling, willing herself to relax. Tomorrow was the first day of school, and she needed to muster up whatever energy she had left. But for now, she closed her eyes, hoping that this time, things might be different.

In the morning she quickly picked through the mess of the boxes and grabbed a pair of Levi's and an MTV t-shirt she had found at a garage sale back in Wisconsin. Her well-worn Converse shoes completed the look, their battered state showing the many miles they had traveled.

After taking a moment to gather her thoughts, Abbie headed downstairs. The house was quiet. Her mom had already left to tackle errands, leaving behind a sandwich and a glass of water for her. As Abbie finished her breakfast, she felt a mix of excitement and anxiety bubbling in her stomach. She slung her backpack over one shoulder and stepped out the front door, inhaling the fresh morning air. The neighborhood was waking up around her—birds chirped, and the sound of distant lawnmowers filled the air.

Walking to school, she took in the sights. The houses had a cozy charm, with colorful gardens and porches adorned with rocking chairs. As she strolled, Abbie couldn't shake the feeling that everyone was watching her, assessing the new girl in town. Her heart raced at the thought. Would she fit in? Would anyone even notice her?

The school loomed ahead, a sprawling brick building that seemed more intimidating than welcoming. Abbie hesitated at the entrance, her breath catching in her throat. Students milled about, laughing and chatting, forming tight knots of friends. She felt like an outsider, standing on the edge of a cliff, unsure if she should leap or retreat.