Seventeen - New Day

New Day

Abbie's eyes shot open. "Carrie, no!" she screamed as if she just woke up from a bad dream. She blinked a few times and adjusted to the darkness. Then, Abbie sat upright and looked around. She noticed that her curtains had been shut tightly. She placed her hand on her forehead because she had such a headache. It felt like her skull was splitting into two. A few seconds later, Kai entered the room with a Cherry Pepsi in his hand, "I hope you don't mind that I helped myself to your fridge." Abbie raised her eyebrow, "Huh? What happened? Why am I in my room?"

"Hate to break it to you, Abbie, but you died," he monotonously answered. He seated himself into a chair and cracked open his soda. "What?" Kai sighed, "Carrie killed you. Don't you remember?" She remembered it a bit. There were a lot of gaps. Maybe, that was because of the shock. "Lightly. I remember her saying something about turning me. She succeeded, didn't she?" Kai nodded. "Does that make me a vampire?" Kai shook his head, "No, you're transitioning. You have 24 hours to drink blood, or else you die, die."

Abbie felt terrified. She couldn't be a vampire. There was so much she wanted to do. Have children, grow old and simply, be alive. She didn't want to be dead yet. "I... I can't..." she stammered. She didn't want to drink blood and be a monster. Abbie saw that side of her when she killed Brian, and she never wanted to see that side again. "You have no choice, Abbie," he said and took a sip from his soda. "I hate that you're right," she sighed. Being a vampire wouldn't be the end of the world. She would live forever and always be hungry for blood. She couldn't lie to herself that would be an awful time. "What about the sun?" she asked Kai. "I will make a daylight ring, and then you can walk outside." Abbie nodded, "Okay, I'll do it."

Kai stood up and placed the soda can on her desk. He walked out of the room and came back in with a knife. He cut open his wrist. "Here." The smell was so sweet. She couldn't stop herself and started drinking the blood. Strangely, the metallic taste was the most delicious thing ever. Kai pushed her from his wrist. "Did that hurt?" Abbie asked, afraid. She didn't want to hurt Kai. She didn't want to hurt anyone. "No, It's just a small cut. I have had worse," he answered. He walked into her on-suite bathroom and grabbed a bit of paper to stop the bleeding and wipe away the blood.

Kai walked out of the room and grabbed her mother. "What are you doing?" she asked and starting to feel unwell. "Say come in," Kai told her mother. "Come in," her mother said like a robot. Immediately, Abbie felt better. Kai led her mother out of the room and chanted a magic spell that made her mother go back to normal. He walked back into the room and closed the door. "What did you do?" she asked, confused. "You just turned into a vampire, so you had to be invited in. That was why you started to feel unwell," he explained.

"But is my mom okay? What did you chant to her? Where did you get the magic?" she bombarded him with questions. Maybe, it was for the distraction of the fact she was now undead, that she will live forever and would have to keep drinking blood. "I siphoned you when you were unconscious to do the spell. I did a little spell, so she would say what I say, and then a simple spell to make her forget the interaction. Completely harmless." Abbie nodded, "Okay, as long, she will be fine."

"She will be, but I have to leave to make the daylight ring. At my house are all the materials to make it. I will be back in a bit. In the meantime, stay here and don't leave. You might start to get hungry, but you have to wait," he said and opened her door to leave. Abbie nodded. He left and shut her door. Abbie sat in silence on her bed. She had noticed she could hear things she wasn't able to before. She heard people talking outside, her mother typing on her McIntosh, Kai leaving the house, and so much more. It was overwhelming, but Abbie was able to handle it.

She walked over to her bathroom and stared into her mirror. She noticed she still had blood on her mouth and quickly wiped it off. Abbie tried to feel for her fangs and accidentally made her vampire face. The white part in her eyes became black, and her brown iris became blood-red. There appeared veins under her eyes, and her fangs also appeared. The only time she had seen this was when Carrie had kidnapped her, which happened only a few hours ago. She walked out of the bathroom to her bed and started to feel hungry. Just like Kai said she would.

She heard a heartbeat, and she decided to follow it. Abbie walked out of her room, ignoring what Kai had said a while ago. In the hallway, the ground was littered with old books. That must be how Kai knew so much about vampires. He had read about it while she was unconscious. She walked through the hallway and kept following the heartbeat. It was her mother's. She knew that already, but she was so hungry. Abbie had no control over herself.

Abbie was just about to open the office door where her mother was when she heard the front door open. She knew it was Kai because she could smell his fresh wound. She wanted to walk downstairs to him, but she speeded downstairs and was there in a few seconds. "Holy shit. What was that?" she asked Kai, who she suddenly stood in front of. "You vamp speeded. That is just something vampires can do," he said. "Aren't you supposed to be in your room?" Abbie sighed, "Yes, but I was so hungry I almost attacked my mom." They walked back upstairs into her room.

"Here is your ring. As long as you wear this, you won't burn up. So, never take this off," he slipped the ring on her finger. "Now for your hunger," he opened up his bag and took out a few blood bags. "This should keep you going for two weeks." Abbie raised her eyebrow, "How did you get that?" Kai smirked, "I used an invisible spell in the blood bank." She looked at the blood bags. How was she going to stop herself from not drinking them all in one go? "Can you take them with you and then give me one a day? I'm afraid I will not be able to control myself and drink them all in one day," she said. Kai nodded and placed the blood bags back in his bag.

"Thank you. I still can't believe Carrie really turned me," Abbie said and sat on her bed. "At least, she will not be bothering us anymore," Kai mentioned and sat in her chair. "What do you mean by that?" she asked, confused. "Haven't I said that yet? I killed her with a stake," he nonchalantly said. "Oh, so she is really dead?" she asked. Kai nodded. She was happy that the nightmare was over, but she was also sad because she felt responsible for her death. Carrie just wanted revenge. She took it too far, but Abbie could weirdly relate to her. If someone killed Kai she would want revenge too.

"Let's test the ring since I want to go outside," Abbie said and stood up, "Fresh air will be good for us." Kai grinned, "Yeah, because if you stay healthy you might live a bit longer." Abbie smiled, "Funny, Kai." She walked to her shoes and put them on. They walked downstairs. Kai opened up the front door, and she carefully put her hand outside. It didn't burn. "See, it works," Kai said. He walked outside and Abbie followed. The sun was shining brightly and felt warm on her face. She felt at peace, but that was quickly abrupted when she started hearing multiple heartbeats.

Resisting one heartbeat, which was Kai's, was easier than multiple. It was a group of teenagers who were skateboarding on the street a few feet further. Abbie tried to resist it, but her veins started showing. "Kai..." she pleaded. Her fangs started to become visible too. Kai thought quickly and brought her back inside. "Didn't know you were that bad at controlling your thirst," he said and walked to his bag. He grabbed out a blood bag. "This will surely calm you down," he threw the blood bag to her. She quickly opened it up and drank it all in a few seconds. "Mmh, well, we'll work on that," Kai said. He grabbed a cloth and threw it to Abbie to clean her mouth from the blood. 

"I'm sorry," she quietly muttered. What was wrong with her? Why couldn't she just control herself?

--*-*-*- Editor's note -*-*-*--

Thank you for reading chapter seventeen! I hope you liked it. What do you think of Abbie being a vampire? I think the last few chapters weren't that long since I would like to have more than 2000 words and I could only get about 1500-1700, but I feel like that the next chapters are going to be longer. 

In other news, I was planning on writing here about how I got a job and all, but I already got fired in the span of two days. 😙✌