Chapter Twenty Five

A few weeks had passed since the nominations began and still no one has thought of my book.

At five pm, Tayo and I were seated in front of the TV watching an episode of the teen titans.

We were both feeling too lazy to make dinner so we say in our respective arm chairs watching beast boy try to get smarter.

Even though we were both watching the programme it didn't feel like we were doing it together.

Rather, it felt like we were in different rooms because of the distance my stupid words had made.

I sat back in my arm chair, swinging my legs as usual.

Suddenly, I heard the gate open and jumped up immediately almost falling down.

My dad's grey Hyundai rolled into the compound with a whirring sound and came smoothly to A halt.

Like I had mentioned earlier, it was five pm. Why were they back so early.

I looked at Tayo and I could tell from the frown on his face he was thinking the same thing.

Someone knocked on the door and I rushed over to unlock it.

It was my mother. She looked even worse than she did on the day that she found out about Aunt Aviva's condition.

If that's even possible

She had tear stained cheeks and red eyes and walked into the house with a "I'm fed up" demeanour.

Her long brown hair was all over this and her velvet suit was all wrinkled and disorderly.

I quietly moved out of the way unable to say anything. My heart began to pound against my ribcage an obvious sign of fear.

Was I about to have a panic attack?

Tayo had already gotten up and rushed out of the house to help my dad.

He seemed to be ok. He had A frown on his face and looked slightly older than usual with the stress wrinkles on his face but he was in A good condition.

He walked in and landed in the sofa with a thud, covering his face with his hands.

That calmed me down a bit but not completely.

I was still finding it hard to catch my breath and my hands were a bit shaky.

I took a seat beside my dad on the sofa. Tayo on the other hand, helped to carry the bags into the house.

"Dad" I said trying not to let fear into my voice "what happened?"

He didn't answer but I knew he had heard me, so I asked again.

"Please tell me what happened" I asked trying to hold back tears .

Why were they acting like this?

It was so freaking scary. I was in the verge of hyperventilating and they were keeping me in suspense like this.

Wondering what was going on. I kept quiet and concentrated hoping to hear if anything was going on upstairs.

I could hear my mum's sobbing from upstairs. It was faint but the sounds could be heard painful and heart wrenching.

"Dad!" Tayo called firmly making me jump. I hadn't even noticed that he had been watching us from the dinning table .

"Please tell us what the eff is going on!" He said in a demanding voice. Maybe he was trying to cover up his fear like I was.

My dad looked up, pulling his arms away from his face. His expression was grave, his lips in A thin line.

"Your aunt Aviva passed on this afternoon at three o'clock" He stated quietly " From corona virus and diabetic complications "

Hearing this statement made this weird feeling of pain shoot through my chest, like my heart had been shattered into A million pieces.

I could no longer hold back my tears. I sobbed letting the tears fall freely down my face.

My aunt was dead.

My mother was broken.

My family may never be the same again.

My dad looked at me sympathy in his eyes, he was going to put an arm around me but Tayo beat him to it.

"Please don't cry Niyi" He whispered quietly sitting beside me on the chair. He had one hand around me in A side hug and I was crying in his shoulder.

"You're strong" He said "That's one beautiful thing I know about you and you'll be able to break through this. But right now isn't about being strong for yourself alone, we need to be strong for mum and dad too, so please don't cry, we can do this together, you and me against all things depressing"

I gave him A sad smile through my tears.

A grateful one because I should really be thanking God that I had such a caring brother.

I wasn't the strong one, he was.

I was just the stupid little sister who became insensitive when angry.

"Ok" I whispered standing up.

Tayo gave me a smile and walked up the stairs probably wanting to talk to mum.

I went into the kitchen and looked into the cupboard hoping to find what I was looking for.

My mum and dad shared A love for Amala and ogbono soup.

If I could get them to eat anything, it was going to be that.

I smiled as I washed the pot and pestle knowing one thing for sure.

All was not lost, at least I had A brother like Tayo who I could lean on in time of need.