Thirty-three

Chapter 33
A Trip to the Past

_______________♤♧◇♡♤______________

"So… you guys run a farm now too or something?" Margot jokingly questioned, grasping a medium-sized tube of mustard in her hand to squirt out and splatter on her crafted, bologna sandwich with a butter knife before meeting Pepper's eyes. The raven-haired girl tendered behind a kitchen counter, asking Pepper, who stood beside her preparing for lunch, all kinds of questions about everything she had missed after vanishing. She had ultimately insisted that she'd help the strawberry blonde woman make sandwiches for their upcoming meal later on that evening if she bombarded her with questions. "I mean… I'm just curious, you literally have a goat staring at me from the window outside?" 

Pepper only chuckled, mincing a cucumber with a kitchen knife, while holding it firmly on the cutting board once she then made thin round slices. "No, we don't own a farm. We live out in the woods now, remember? All kinds of animals come around." 

Margot snickered. "That's pretty interesting." 

"You know this is really nice…" Pepper quipped, smiling genuinely in exchange as she eyed Margot and playfully nudged her elbow, "You're really the life of the party around here. It's good to have you back." 

Pepper's response only made Margot frown inside as if she weren't acceptable for being back. It wasn't like she didn't appreciate her statement, it was just the fact that she felt undeserving and unworthy of returning when half the people she cared about couldn't. "It's not fair," the raven girl muttered under her breath with a sad shake of her head as she stacked up two of the sandwiches she had made, and placed them down in the center of a glass platter before gaining Pepper's incredulous look that appeared on her face. "It's not fair that I get to come back, but no one else does." 

Pepper only sighed. "We've all lost someone, Mags. You're not alone. All we can do is just learn how to go on… somehow." 

Margot nodded sadly with painful teary eyes before moving a strand of her raven hair back with her hand once she began chopping up an onion. She couldn't even tell if she was all teared up from emotions -- or if it was just the strong-scented onion she was cutting up. She absolutely hated the unbearable feeling of not being able to see the people she truly cared about again, and guilt thrived in her spine. 

"What's all the chatter going on in here, huh?" Tony, who now entered the kitchen with a bright smile upon his face had said once he approached the two individuals. He tried reaching his hand out towards one of the handmade bologna sandwiches, only to find Pepper whacking his hand away, while chuckling.

"No lunch before everyone else, Tony!" Pepper gently scolded Tony with a sly grin. 

Rolling his eyes, he then turned to face his daughter before asking, "So, what do you think of the new place, Mags?"