1.13: explaining everything

After explaining everything about the apocalypse and showing Luther the prosthetic, Diego burst through the door angrily, storming towards Five. Aurora protectively placed an arm on the boy's shoulder, ready to protect her best friend at all costs. He wrapped an arm around her to do the same.

"Pieces of shit," Diego muttered. "Do you have any idea what you two just did?" The man reached for them, but Luther caught him and held him back. They bickered for a few moments before the man finally calmed down.

"Now," Luther started. "You wanna tell us what you're talking about?"

"Our brother and his lady friend--"

Aurora groaned. "Oh, you too?"

"You two have been pretty busy since you got back. You were in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's, then at Gimbel Brothers. After the guys in masks attacked the academy, looking for you two!"

"None of which is any of your concern," Five replied.

"It is now," Diego panted. "They just killed my friend." Luther turned to the teens leaning on each other and gestured for them to speak.

"They work for our former employer," Aurora sighed. "A woman called The Handler. She sent them after us so we couldn't stop the apocalypse."

"Then, as soon as Diego's friend got in their way," Five continued. "Well... fair game."

"And now they're my fair game," The man dressed in black retorted. "And I'm gonna see to it they pay." He walked back to the door.

"That would be a mistake, Diego. They've killed people far more dangerous than you."

"Yeah, we'll see about that." The man slammed the door shut after himself.

Luther snapped his head towards Aurora and his brother. "Former employer? What's this really about? And don't give me any of this 'it's none of your business' crap, all right?"

"Well, it really isn't any of your business," The curly haired girl remarked. "But I guess we have to tell you now."

-time skip-

"Since Maya and I already were, they turned Five into the perfect instrument for rehabilitation of the time continuum."

"Or corrections," Five added. "As they called them. We weren't the only ones, there are others like us. Beings out of time, fractured, extracted from the lives that they knew. I don't know how they got there, but I do know that none of them were as good as us."

"Basically, that leads up to when we decided to break our contract," Aurora explained. "They didn't realize it, but we were biding our time, trying to figure out the right equation so we could get here. Then comes the vortex marathon."

Luther came back with food and coffee, which the pair gratefully took. "You had a code, right? You didn't kill just anybody?"

Aurora sighed, ignoring his question and taking a sip of her coffee. It tasted horrible, but she needed the energy.

"No code," Five answered. "We took out anyone who messed with the timeline."

"What about innocent people?"

"It was the only way we could get back here," Aurora informed the man.

"But that's murder!"

"Jesus, Luther," Five snapped. "Grow up, we're not kids anymore. There's no such thing as good guys or bad guys. There's just people, going about their lives."

Aurora added, "But when the world ends, all those people die, including your family. Time changes everything."

-Maya-

Maya has been searching for Klaus for almost two days now, wondering where he could have gone. She found he had gone missing when he never called her. The man calls her everyday to check in, just like they had always done since they met in 2018. She knew something was wrong. She was walking down the street and saw a bus roll by and come to a stop. She saw a man step out with a briefcase, and she smiled.

"Klaus," She called out, running toward the curly haired man standing still. She continued to yell his name, but it seemed as though he couldn't hear her. He suddenly rushed forward and started smashing the case in his hand against the bench before him.

He threw the black case in Maya's direction and screamed as loud as he could, dropping down onto the cement. Klaus started to sob, pawing at the ground in despair. The sight of this made the girl pick up her speed. She slammed her knees into the pavement before her friend, bringing him into her arms.

She spoke softly, "Oh, Klaus. Who did this to you?" The man didn't reply, he just wrapped his bloody hands around the girl's torso and continued to cry.