1.04: because you're ordinary

Aurora and Five sat in the darkness of Vanya's apartment, sitting patiently and waiting for the woman to return home. The pair sat in silence, occasionally speaking when the other had something on their mind.

"What's the plan after this?" Aurora whispered.

"We find the owner of the eye," Five replied, just as quietly. "Then we save the world."

The girl nodded in response, even though she knew Five wouldn't see it. They sat in silence once more, before the locks to the apartment door started to twist around. When the duo heard the door open, Five turned the lamp on and scared Vanya in the process.

"Jesus!"

"You should have locks on your windows," Aurora said simply. The small woman slightly jumped again, finally noticing the girl on the floor.

Vanya placed her keys down and replied, "I live on the second floor."

"Rapists can climb."

"Your friend is so weird," Vanya spoke to Five, which made the girl roll her eyes. The woman took off her jacket and came to sit before them. She inspected the both of them, spotting Aurora's bloody hair and Five's arm. "Is that blood?"

"It's nothing," Five replied.

"Why are you here?"

"I've decided you're the only one I can trust."

"Why me?"

"Because you're ordinary." Aurora slapped the boy's knee at his response. He quickly corrected himself, "Because you'll listen." Vanya nodded and left the room, coming back moments later with a first aid kit. Five pulled up his sweater as his sister sat before him and grabbed the things she needed.

"When I jumped forward and got stuck in the future, do you know what I found?" Vanya shook her head no. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing. As far as I could tell, I was the last person alive. And I was until I met Aurora and Maya."

"We never figured out what killed the human race, but Five found something else," Aurora continued. "The date it happens."

"The world ends in eight days, and we have no idea how to stop it." Five concluded. The room was silent for a moment. No one said anything until Vanya decided to speak up.

"I'll put on a pot of coffee."

-time skip-

"You think we're crazy," Five scoffed, taking a sip out of the cup in his hands.

"No. It's just," Vanya stammered, looking in between Aurora and her brother. "It's a lot to take in."

"Exactly what don't you understand?"

"Why didn't you just time travel back?"

Aurora interrupted. "Ooh, I've already asked that before. That's a bad question to ask."

"Gee, wish I'd thought of that," Five replied sarcastically. "Time travel is a crapshoot. I went into the ice and never acorn-ed. You think I didn't try everything to get back to my family? To get Aurora back to hers?"

Vanya slowly nodded. "If you grew old there, you know... in the apocalypse, how come you two look like kids?"

The boy scoffed again. "I told you already, I must've gotten the equations wrong."

"I mean, Dad always used to say that time travel could mess with your mind. Maybe that's what's happening?"

"Then how does that explain what I know?" Aurora challenged. The woman stayed silent as Five finished his drink. He slammed the cup down and strolled towards the teen, taking her hand and pulling her towards the door.

"This was a mistake. You're too young, too naive to understand."

"Five, wait." Aurora stopped him and they turned around. "I haven't seen you in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again. That's all. And you know what, it's getting late... I have lessons early, and I need sleep, and I'm sure you two do too. We'll talk in the morning. I promise. Goodnight." Vanya walked over and prepared the couch for the pair to sleep on, then headed for her room.

Five nodded and led Aurora back around to sit on the couch. He muttered a goodnight back and sat down beside his best friend. The girl laid her head on his shoulder, to which he replied by wrapping an arm around her. They sat in silence for a few minutes, Five staring at the prosthetic eye in his hand. His attention started to focus on Aurora as he felt her breath slow down to a steady rate. He sighed, shoving the eye into his pocket and placing the girl's head into his lap.

"Shit," He whispered.

Sighing for what seemed like the hundredth time today, Five picked the girl up bridal style and walked towards the door. After almost hitting Aurora's head a few times, the boy finally exited the apartment and shut the door quietly. He stood near the door, adjusting his grip on Aurora when he heard a crash from the door across from Vanya's. The boy frowned, waiting for a moment before walking down the stairs and out of the building.

-In the apartment across from Vanya's-

A woman heard a door close right outside of her own and frowned. What would her neighbor be leaving so late for? She had just gotten home. The brunette walked over to look in the peephole, a plate of cookies in her hand. When she saw the teens that were in the hallway, the woman couldn't hold in her gasp. She dropped the plate in utter shock, letting the ceramic crash into the floor.

"What?" She breathed quietly. The woman stood still, watching the boy as he stared at her door in confusion. After what seemed like years, he took off and the woman was brought back into reality.

"Shit, the cookies!"