1.21: snooping around

The group piled out of the car after dropping Maya off at home. She said it was an emergency, and that she needed to get there. The four reluctantly let her go, traveling the rest of the way to Harold's house.

"Be careful, okay?" Allison warned. "We don't know what Peabody's capable of."

"Yeah, he didn't seem dangerous when I first saw him. Looked kinda scrawny," Diego replied.

"Yeah, well, so are most serial killers and mass murderers. I mean, look at him." Allison retorted, pointing at her younger brother.

Aurora chuckled. "I mean, you're not wrong."

Five remained unfazed by their insults. "Thanks."

"Good point," Diego said. "So what's this guy want with Vanya?"

"I don't know, how about we ask him after we kill him?"

"Whoa, whoa. Hey, look, I'm gonna burst through--" The Kraken cut himself off when he turned to look at the pair. "You know what? It would be nice for people just to stick to--"

The man's words were cut off again as Five blinked both him and Aurora behind his sister. The trio walked in as they heard a deafening crash. They stepped in the direction of the noise, finding Diego on the floor, covered in glass.

"Subtle," Allison remarked as Aurora went to twist the doorknob. She pulled it open and snorted.

"You know, the door was unlocked."

Diego grunted as he stood up. "Yeah, well, my way works just fine. Spread out, yell if you uh... you know, you're in trouble."

Five snorted. "Ah, inspiring leadership."

"One of the greats," Allison replied, glancing at her brother.

Aurora chuckled to herself. "Yeah, he deserves a gold medal. Now, I'm heading upstairs. One of you start snooping around with your idiot brother." She let go of the boy's hand and walked up the stairs, Allison trailing behind. The seventeen year old went to search the bedrooms, while the woman behind her went straight for the attic. After searching each room, Aurora trailed back to the woman reaching for the pin that opens the room the pair didn't check yet.

"Al, let me." Allison turned to look at the girl and nodded, bending down and placing her folded hands out. Getting the memo, the curly haired brunette stepped on her hands and balanced herself before reaching for the trapdoor. "I got it." The teen pulled the metal ring and a ladder fell down into place near the stairs. The girls glanced at each other before climbing up to see what was waiting for them.

"Guys," Allison yelled to her brothers, looking around in disgust and fear. Aurora's expression was the same. "You need to see this." The men raced up into the attic, stopping short at the sight of everything.

"All our faces are burnt off."

"Well, that's not creepy," Number Two spoke. "This guy's got some serious issues."

Aurora nodded, before something caught her eye. "What the hell?" She tore a picture of herself and Five off the wall. It was a photo of them walking out of the Hargreeves mansion, hand in hand, but the boy's face was replaced by a burned hole. "Uh, why am I here? I'm not a part of your ridiculous team."

Diego frowned. "Ridiculous?"

"There's an attic full of you guys with your faces scratched and burnt off, a goddamn murder shrine in between your legs, and you're questioning me about my choice of words?"

The man looked down at the plastic beneath him and lifted it slightly. "Huh. What do you know, there's a murder shrine here."

"I know one when I see one," The brunette replied just as Five let out a sigh and collapsed onto the ground. Her head whipped around. "Five?" Everyone kneeled down and saw blood seeping through his sweater vest. Yanking the shirt up, Aurora gasped lightly.

"You dumbass! Why didn't you say anything?"

Diego mumbled to himself. "Jesus, Five."

"You have to keep going," The boy groaned, writhing around slowly. "So... close." His breathing slowed, making the girl above him panic.

"Five," Aurora uttered, shaking his shoulders. Her breathing started to pick up. "Oh, my god. Not again. Five!"

Diego placed a hand on the teen's shoulder. "Aurora, we've gotta get him in the car."

"I can't..." The brunette started panting harder. "I can't breathe!"

Allison made eye contact with her brother. "I'll get him in the car, help her."

The man nodded and turned back to the girl before him. "Look at me. Aurora, look at me! Listen to the sound of my voice. You're okay, alright? You're okay, and Five's going to be okay as well. Now, Aurora, I want you to count with me." By this time, tears were streaming down the girl's face.

"You ready? Count with me," Diego cooed, holding up his hand. "Let's count to ten. 1, 2... count out loud. 3, 4, 5..."

"5, 6, 7..." Aurora whispered, trying to focus.

"That's good. 8, 9, 10. Let's count again. 1..."

"2, 3, 4, 5..." The curly haired girl spoke louder this time, her heart rate slowing.

"6, 7..."

"7, 8, 9, 10. Good. Are you alright?" She nodded in response, letting Diego pull her up and swiftly lead her out of the house they had broken into. "Whenever this happens, just focus on your breathing and count, okay?" Allison switched seats with Aurora as the pair got there, the teenage girl putting pressure on Five's bullet wound as the Kraken sped off into the distance.

"Come on, Five," Aurora muttered, the tears still rolling down. She wiped her eyes violently, starting to play with the unconscious boy's hair. "Stay with me. You can't leave now, we're about to save the world." She continued to press on his wound, Diego practically speeding down the street, determined to get home.