1.25: contributing to the cause

"Go knock on her door, I want to see if Vanya's here."

"What?"

"Klaus, just knock on the damn door!"

Aurora watched the man sigh and turn away, and started frowning. She hadn't heard anything coming from the woman's apartment, which made her blink inside of Harold's house to find her reading a book with a frown.

"Vanya?" The woman's head snapped up in surprise.

"What are you doing here?"

"I had to see you," The brunette stated. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay." She was about to say something else when she heard footsteps.

"Vanya? Let's get going," Leonard called, stepping into the room. He saw the book in her hands and glanced at Aurora. "Vanya, I can explain."

"Hey," Aurora said, gaining the woman's attention. "Hand me the book."

Vanya complied, staring at her boyfriend in disbelief. "You've been manipulating me all this time?"

"That's not true. I'm only trying to protect you."

"From who?"

"From her," Harold said sternly, pointing an accusatory finger at the teenage girl. "And your family. They're the ones trying to hurt you."

Aurora scoffed. "Oh, really? Then why aren't they here now to kill their own sister?" The man fell silent. "I can tell by your silence that even you don't believe the shit you're saying. Vanya, your family is trying to help you get away from this idiot."

"No, it's all there. In that journal. Your father..." The man continued. "Was afraid of you. That's why he put you on those pills. It wasn't to help you. It was to hold you back. He didn't trust that you were strong enough to control your powers, but I've never been afraid of you.

"I embraced you, I'm the only one who ever accepted you for who you really are. Your brothers and your sister, they went along with him every step of the way."

Vanya wasn't listening. "Who is Harold Jenkins?"

"He is," Aurora snapped, making the woman beside her turn to look at her. "It's all in the police file your brothers, Allison and I found!"

"So Allison was right," Vanya said slowly. "You're sick."

"I'm not the one who tried to kill you," Harold retorted.

"Vanya, we need to go." The woman nodded, clutching Aurora's outstretched hand and pulling her towards the door. The man stopped them.

"What have they ever done for you? I'm the reason you got first chair!"

Vanya frowned. "I auditioned, I earned the spot."

Harold laughed. "You think that the first chair went missing all by herself?"

"That murder shrine in your attic," Aurora raised her voice. "Was that woman the original first chair?"

"I did this for her," The one-eyed man snapped. He turned back to the petite woman and cupped her face softly.

"Stay away from me!"

"Vanya, we are in danger. Your family, Aurora, they've seen you in action. They know what you're capable of."

Aurora stopped in her tracks. "What is she capable of?"

"Don't act like you don't know," Harold spat. "Read the damn book in your hands." The teen skimmed through the pages.

"They'll listen to me," Vanya snapped. "Aurora has!"

"No, they never will! They want you to feel small, but they are the small ones, next to you. Compared to them, you are a god!"

"Yes," Aurora agreed. "She is, but gods shouldn't be manipulated like this."

"She needed her eyes opened to see what you and her crap family really are. I gave that to her!"

The seventeen year old ignored him and looked at the woman she was holding hands with. "Vanya, listen to me! Your family is trying to keep you safe, do not believe what this lunatic is saying. I've been with them this whole time, they're not monsters. They need you, and I know you need them."

"No, Vanya, you need me."

"No, Aurora's right. What I need is my family! I didn't... I didn't mean to kill Allison! And I love her, and I love them. I'm starting to love Aurora, too. She listens to me."

The tan skinned teenager interrupted again. "You didn't, she's alive. She's at the academy, resting right now."

"Your father was right," Harold spoke lowly. "You're not strong enough. He knew it, and now I know it. You're weak!"

"Stop it," The pale woman spoke.

"You're pathetic!"

"Please don't."

"Look at you," The man spat. "You're nothing!"

Vanya screamed. "No!"

"You're just ordinary!" Aurora started tuning them out, focusing on the woman she was touching. She focused on her voice, her body structure, her clothes.

"Stop it!"

"Less than ordinary!" The brunette started to focus on Vanya's powers. She didn't know how it's used, or how she could manipulate them with her emotions. The girl struggled a bit with the rush of adrenaline flowing through her. Aurora guessed it started to work, because her rage was becoming overwhelming.

"Stop it!"

"You are not special," Harold yelled. "Ordinary, ordinary, pathetic, nothing!"

Vanya started to squeeze the teen's hand so hard, that she couldn't squeeze back. They glanced at each other, and the woman frowned at the sight of herself, but shook it off and snapped her head back towards her boyfriend. They both started to turn paper white, the sounds around them gathering to be manipulated. Aurora's aura was a lot darker, seeing as all of the powers she's mimicked have turned pitch black.

The force sent Harold straight up off the ground, his choking one of the only sounds in the room. He started to plead for his life, but the pleas were ignored.

"Not to me, Vanya. Please!"

Items started flying off of every surface, adding to the mini tornado forming around the man suspended in the air. They started to break, hitting Harold as they spun violently. The last things that collided with the one-eyed man were different knives and scissors, stabbing into his chest and stomach. Within a second, Harold's lifeless body was slammed onto the dining table. Aurora shifted back into herself and Vanya stopped using her powers.

"Thank you," Vanya said after a few moments of silence. "For staying and believing in me."

"No problem. Just happy to be contributing to the cause," The curly haired brunette smiled back, letting the woman lead her out of the house. "And before you ask, I'm a shapeshifter. And I guess taking powers is just a part of it."

"Good to know."

"Do you want to go see Allison, or go home?"

The woman replied with, "Home, I need to sleep."

Aurora nodded, before letting the darkness of her powers consume her and Vanya.