Chapter 27

"He's here!" Amy squealed upon entering Seth's dressing room.

"Who?" Seth asked as he adjusted his tie, thankful he hadn't been in the middle of changing.

"Stefon! I just saw him coming into the studio!"

Seth froze. He hadn't been prepared for this. He turned to his friend. "Nobody told me he was coming. I assumed he ignored the invitation."

"Really? You should've known days ago... although I suppose no one else really knows the situation. Maybe they just thought you knew?" she suggested. "Anyway, the real reason I came by was to let you know that Kanye is going on now so you need to get out to the desk."

"I'll be right out," he promised. "I just need a minute."

"Alright, don't take too long." She exited the room, leaving Seth to his thoughts. He was suddenly very anxious. Not only did he not know that Stefon would be there this week, but he'd missed dress rehearsal and was already skating on thin ice. It had to be perfect or he was not getting out of this without serious consequences. He glanced at the ring he had set down while he was changing. Here goes nothing, he thought. He pulled the chain over his head and tucked it under his collar.

A knock sounded on his door as he stood. "I'm coming," he called, expecting to be hounded by a cast member or Lorne himself. Stefon stood in front of him when he opened the door instead. His heart immediately rose into his throat, but he forced himself to swallow it as he looked over the young man.

Stefon looked healthier than ever. He had definitely put on a few pounds, though he was still very skinny. His face seemed brighter. Wherever he had been, he was certainly being taken care of. Still, the fever came off of him in waves and his pupils were dilated. His hands busied themselves by rubbing his arms or touching his face. While he looked healthier, he seemed to be under a much heavier influence.

"Seth, I need to talk to you," he spoke quickly.

Seth cleared his throat and pushed passed. "I can't right now."

Stefon followed him through the corridor, keeping his pace. "It's really important!"

"I don't have time, Stefon! I'm late! I have a minute to get to my desk and get my mic on! It'll have to wait until later."

Stefon stopped. "There won't be time later!"

Seth stopped and turned around. "Then why are you here?" The two men stared at each other. Stefon opened his mouth to say something but closed it again. "You disappeared. And I know I hurt you and you probably want nothing to do with me. So why come back if you're just going to leave again?" Seth blinked back tears and turned to start walking again. "I don't have time for this."

He had his mic set and was rolled out behind the desk with the 30 seconds to spare. He took a deep breath and pushed Stefon out of his mind for the time being. Focus was essential.

He started with his signature intro then turned his attention to the next camera where his cue card were already waiting for him. The first line of his report was immediately butchered as the word scrutiny struggled to form on his tongue, but he was quickly saved by the the punchline. As he paused for laughter, he reminded himself that everyone screws up their lines here and there and let himself off the hook. His next few jokes went over much more smoothly. His mistake was quickly forgotten as he pulled back to a previous story to announce his segment with Amy, accompanied by screaming fans who missed her as a cast member.

The two joked throughout the segment as they spit "REALLY?!" every other sentence and targeted the IRS with as much venom as they could in their happiness to be together again behind the desk. As the segment ended, Seth turned to Amy.