Chapter 8

The promise of food got Stefon out of bed that morning. The night before, Seth asked Stefon to choose breakfast to help him get up in the morning. For the first time in ages, he decided he wanted to go out. A few weeks had passed since he started withdrawing and though his symptoms weren't entirely gone, he was feeling much better than when it had started. His mental health suffered. Depression leeched the life out of him. He'd spent most of his days in bed with Seth watching him as though he'd croak any minute. Gradually he started getting out of bed and eating more. This relieved Seth's worry and put on a few pounds that he'd lost in his horrendous nausea. There wasn't much weight left for him to lose without becoming all skin and bones. Back up to an almost normal weight felt like a step up for him.

They sat in a coffee shop. Stefon had his back to the wall and his legs crossed on his chair. His smile lit up the room as he slowly tore apart a bagel and giggled with his partner about nothing and everything. Seth couldn't contain his own smile. It felt like the first time in a while genuine happiness permeated the room with both of them in it. Mindless chatter filled the air around them but in that moment all they could hear was each other. They were truly connected, their actions almost paralleling each other's as one sipped his coffee and the other picked up his own.

After their lovely breakfast date they walked hand-in-hand to Seth's car, silent but content. Their silence was filled by the sounds of the New York City streets as they buzzed with activity. When they got into the car, Stefon put his head back against the seat. His head felt suddenly very heavy, though the caffeine in his system made him feel awake. The most activity he had been exposed to in a while had made him feel very drained. Normally he would've gotten through this with help, but he was out sober for the first time in years.

Seth reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright? Do we need to go home?"

He looked over at his companion. "I'm okay. I'm just worn out. Haven't been out in a while." He finished his last sentence with a yawn and a stretch. "We can stay out. It's nice to see something that isn't walls and blankets."

"If you're sure. Just take it easy. Let me know if you need to go home because I will turn around." Stefon gave him a smile of gratitude as Seth pulled the car slowly away from the curb. Stefon closed his eyes. Despite the chill in his bones and refusal to wear a coat, he rolled his window down. The air was refreshing. It could've lulled him to sleep. That is, if Seth didn't roll the window back up and blast the heater. He opened his eyes and narrowed them. His partner flashed an amused grin. "Too cold for that."

"Fiine," Stefon sat up straighter in his seat. Staring out the window just seemed too easy. He didn't want to lose focus and end up ruining everyone's mood. Instead, he pulled out his phone to check his messages. Contact was something he had a hard time with in the time he lost in bed. It seemed to be the time when people messaged him the most. But he ignored his phone to avoid the hurt that came with not being contacted by the one person he needed to hear from. Several missed calls, not a single voicemail. Several texts, none that important. One string of messages was from Cecily asking if he was alright because he hadn't been home in forever. She followed that up with I saw Seth tonight. He says you're okay. I've been worried about you. Come home soon! The message made him smile. He never really thought she cared about him all that much but knowing she cared enough to check in made him feel good.

"What are you smiling about?" Seth teased.

"Just checking my messages. Cecily seems to miss me a lot. It feels good to be missed."

"Oh yeah, she was on the show not last week. She was really worried. I didn't know you told her so when she asked about you I didn't know how to answer."