Part 12

You and the team are on a new case in Norfolk, Virginia. A pair of spree killer unsubs', husband and wife, are holed up in a gas station with hostages. You'd been able to hit the wife once but they had gotten away. Hotch and Rossi are trying to negotiate.

"I want the bitch that shot my wife in here right now, or I'll kill every single one of these innocent people." The unsub, named Austin, says to Hotch. He looks over at you, distraught.

"We can't do that Austin. Not unless we have a sign of good faith." Rossi responds. Hotch mutes the communicator.

"We're not sending her in there, period."

"Hotch-" Morgan tries to butt in.

"I mean it. She's not going." His voice is sharp and rings with finality.

"Hotch, it makes sense, she'll be a distraction." Emily speaks up.

"Or she'll be a sacrifice. That's absolutely unacceptable."

"Hotch, I'm doing this." You say firmly. He was letting his feelings cloud his judgment and you had agreed that you both wouldn't do that.

"Like hell you are." His eyes meet yours and for a moment you remember why you found him so intimidating.

"Hotch, a word." You move far enough from the team that they can't hear you and he follows.

"Alexa, I will have an actual heart attack if you get hurt." He's letting the emotion leak into his voice. He's scared.

"Aaron, I can do this. I'll leave my vest on." You keep your voice even though you're scared too. But this is your job, and sacrifices are made.

"It makes sense, logically, in my head. But when I think about it...the feelings I get..." He trails off.

"Let me do this. And when it's all over and we're at my place tonight you can tell me all your feelings." You say with a gentle smile.

"I can't lose you." His voice cracks and it pulls on your heartstrings. You know that he's thinking about Hayley and he doesn't want that to happen to you.

"You won't, Aaron." You say firmly, putting your hand on his shoulder because it's contact the team won't find suspicious. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course, Lex."

"Then baby, you have to let me do this." You press. You look at each other for what feels like forever, and you have the urge to tell him that you love him but the team is watching.

"Fine." He finally gives in and you squeeze his shoulder reassuringly.

You both head back over to the team and no one says anything. Before you walk away from them you turn to JJ. "Jennifer, just in case..." you take off your mother's diamond necklace and remove your dad's gold wedding band from your thumb.

"No, I-" she begins. She knows the significance. These were some of the things found in your parents tent after they'd died.

"I don't want it to get bloody." You make sure to make eye contact with every single one of them, your smile tight. Your eyes linger on Hotch and you can see the dread in his eyes. "I'll see you all soon."

You head towards the front of the gas station, your hands up to indicate that you aren't reaching for your gun. The unsub meets you at the door grabbing you roughly.

"Do you see what you did to her?" He pushes your forward and you stand above the body of his wife. His hand is in your hair pushing your face down and you land on her body.