Part 16

"Alexa, you should give him another chance." Your mother says looking  down at the pot she was filling with water. She has said everyday for the past two weeks. You are mincing up garlic at the counter next to her for the pasta sauce and garlic bread you all are having for dinner.

"Bullshit, she should." Lucas retorts. He's sitting at the counter with a puppy in his arms.

"Language, Lucas." Your dad comes up behind him, messing with his hair.

"Lex told us it was okay to cuss." Lucas whines, looking over at you. You shoot him a glare for blaming it on you.

"They're grown ups, Joe. We can't tell them not to cuss, we missed out on that." You hear the regret in her voice and lean over to kiss her cheek.

"Well I think mom's right, you should give him another chance. Aaron was the best person you've ever dated." Annie chimes in from the kitchen table.

"Our bisexual, FBI agent daughter, who would've  thought." The dad comes over to mess with your hair too. You swat him away with your free hand.

"Sounds like you all should try to date him." You say sarcastically, continuing to chop. Your mother points to the oil in the sauce pan she has on the stove and you dump the garlic into it.

"Yeah I would, except he's old enough to be my dad. That and he's in love with you." Annie replies playfully.

"That and he's a liar." Lucas just about spits out his words.

"Lucas." Our mother scolds as she empties cans of crushed tomatoes into the sauce pan. "He was doing his job. It wasn't his fault that Alexa is charming."

You're about to say some snide comment to your mom when the doorbell rings.

"I'll get it." It's the perfect excuse to get out of this family scuffle. You were grateful that you even got to have a family scuffle like this but sometimes it was all too much. You were still adjusting to getting your parents back, it had only been a couple weeks. You don't look through the peephole and open the door. It's Blake.

"Blake. What are you doing here?" Your eyes drink her in. She's dressed modestly for her standards, in a turtleneck and jeans. She looks uncharacteristically put together.

"You've been avoiding my calls and texts." Her voice is accusing. You had called her the day after you found out your parents were alive and explained everything. She was attentive and offered support but you didn't want her to mistake this for a way to re-enter your life.

"Blake, I've said all I need to say. I just wanted you to know. This doesn't change anything between us." You cross your arms partially because of the cold November air and partially because you're upset she's here.

"Are you still with him? After the secret he'd been keeping from you?" Her anger is flaring. It was one of the many reason you both had to call it quits. You couldn't handle her when she was angry.

"I've been on leave, I haven't spoken to him since the day of. Not that it's any of your business." You snap. "You know if you just came here to kick me while I'm down about him, you can go. Actually, you can just go period."

"Lexie, I love you, I always have. I'm sorry about my temper. But I can be better." She reaches for your hand.

You look down at your hand in hers remember the rush it used to give you. Now you feel nothing. You look back up at her, tears forming in your eyes.

"I love him, Blake. It's him, it always going to be him now." It's the truth. A truth that you've been denying since the day he took you to your parents. You were so mad at him but he was just doing his job. And at the end of the day you were madly in love with him.