Chapter 20

Chris is digging his fingers into my bicep "Owe, let go of me!" I demand

"What the hell are you doing in here Alissa," he asks, clearly angry

At first, I say nothing and just stare at him in shock. I don't know how to respond.

"Chill, I was just looking for some extra cash to buy some women items from the store," I say as I try to pry his fingers from my arm.

He releases his hold on me and steps closer, leaning towards my face.

I back up and bump into the desk, I am breathing heavy but I try to stay calm.

"Didn't your mom just buy stuff last week?" he questions, still close to my face

"Oh, uh, she did? I didn't realize it. Ok then I will go find them," I say as I try to make my way to the door. 

Before I can move past him he wraps his hand around my neck forcefully and shoves me back up against the desk "You're up to something Alissa and I suggest you mind your own business. Little girls shouldn't interfere with grown-up business," he says as his eyes turn dark with anger and his grasp on my neck tightens.

Unable to speak I gasp for air and try to pry his hand from my neck. He releases his hold and I choke out a breath and start coughing. Tears now leaking from my eyes.

I say nothing and just look up into his threatening eyes. 

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I manage to spit out as I push past him and run out the door. I run into my room, shut the door, and lock it behind me.

"Shit," I say to myself as I slide my back down the inside of my door and sit on my floor "what the hell just happened," I ask myself

I reach my hands up to my neck and rub the now throbbing spot where Chris was squeezing. 

What does he think I was doing? He can't possibly know that I know about the affair just because I was in his office, can he? 

I suddenly feel scared and goosebumps begin to rise on my arms.

A thought that I have kept at the back of my head comes through. If Abby saw Chris and Kara together and confronted them, maybe she had plans to expose them but never got the chance. 

Maybe Chris and Kara took care of Abby before she was able to tell my mom. 

Would they kill someone to keep their secret? Would they kill me? 

I shudder at the thought and decide that I need to come up with a plan and fast.

I could call the cops but I'm afraid he will make me out to be an unstable teen girl who is grieving and it will be my word against his. 

I need to tell my mom. Now.

I grab my keys and rush to my car. shoeless and still in the clothes I slept in, with my hair a tangled mess and mascara running down my face.

I need to reach my mom and tell someone before he gets to me. 

I park my car when I arrive at my mom's office and run through the front doors and past the receptionist. I am shaking and crying out of fear and anger at what just happened.

I burst through my mom's office door and she jumps in surprise. She hangs up her call she was on and stands up.

"What's wrong Liss? Oh my god, what happened?" she asks concerned, and walks over towards me.

"Mom, I've been meaning to talk to you for a while about this but I didn't know how," I say "Do you...I mean I think...mom, do you think Chris is being unfaithful to you?" I finally spit out.