Chapter 18

The fire crackled as Evlyn opened her eyes. It was still dark but her fae sight allowed her to see in the dark. She was awoken by something. Looking around Ev relized Lorcan and Fenrys were still asleep. Evlyn looked at Vaughan's bed roll but he wasn't there. Getting up Evlyn quietly followed Vaughan's scent.

Ev found him leaning against a tree staring at a river. Evlyn took a step and snapped a twig Vaughan immediately straightened and looked behind him. He relaxed when he saw her and leaned against the tree again "What are you doing up?"

Evlyn stood next to him and looked across the water "I could ask you the same question."

Sighing Vaughan shrugged "I couldn't sleep."

Looking away from the river Evlyn looked at him "Wanna talk about it?"

Vaughan looked at her then back at the river "I keep hearing your screams in my head, Every second I keep hearing your screams. I keep having to remind myself that we're out and you're safe."

A hand stroked down her back. Evlyn leaned her head against his shoulder "I'm fine."

She felt Vaughan tensed "Are you though?"

Smacking his back was like smacking steel beams "I'm one hundred percent sure." She looked at him to find him already looking at her. Evlyn stepped back a little to get a good view of his face "What is this about."

Vaughan visibly swallowed and looked to the ground "I don't want to lose you".

Oh, Evlyn blinked in surprise. Ev took a step forward and intertwined his hand in hers, Vaughan's head snapped up "I'm fine, we'll physically yes. Mentally? Maybe not. But it takes time to heal." Vaughan nodded and looked down. Ev put a finger under his chin. Vaughan looked at her "You know how wounds work. You've been in more wars than I have."

They stared at each other for a while before Vaughan broke the silence "Thank you."

Evlyn blinked "For what?"

"For everything". Vaughan pulled her to him and kissed her. It was like lighting a spark. Evlyn wrapped her arms around his neck and fell into the kiss. They probably kissed for a good minute before they broke apart to breath. Ev rested her forehead on his chest. Vaughan kisses the top of her head "We should get back." Evlyn nodded. Together hand and hand they walked back to the camp site.
————————————————————————
Thanks for reading . Now I'm going to be that author that makes y'all wait for two to six chapters. Stay safe!