Chapter Fifteen

(Joseph's POV)

Now, there were a lot of irritating things in the world. Nails on a chalkboard, screaming babies, yadda yadda. Point was, there were times I was irritated relatively easily...especially by individuals who just stared at me...in complete silence.

The guy we had...well, kidnapped, had regained consciousness about four hours ago, and the entire time, he just stared me down, arms bound behind his back, his lips pulled in a thin line. But you know what? I was a stubborn man and I'll be damned if I didn't stare straight back at him while Teiken and Delkele flew our stolen ship. I wasn't going to let this guy win this intense staring contest, and hell, I'm pretty sure there was about a five minute moment where I didn't even blink at all.

"So, are you just going to stare at him throughout our entire journey?"

I jumped when the sudden voice sounded next to my ear, my gaze finally flicking away from our prisoner, landing on Jox, whose curious blue eyes remained on me. I glanced back towards the Tronian for the briefest of moments before I stood up from my spot and gestured for the Glacic to follow me, the albino doing so with a curious look on his face. Once we were out of earshot of our prisoner, I nodded my head towards him, huffing in the process. "I don't like the way he's staring at me. It's creepy and weird, and I don't like it."

Jox snorted and raised a pale brow. "I don't know, Joseph, maybe he likes you."

I grimaced and rolled my eyes, waving my hand in the air before I crossed my arms over my chest. "Well sucks for him but I am a married man who isn't looking for another lover." I shook my head and pursed my lips. "Besides, he looks more like he wants to murder me rather than cozy up to me. I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing crap that isn't there. God knows I tend to do that a lot."

Those soft blue eyes averted for a moment, the man shrugging slightly before that gaze slid back towards me. "If it makes you that uncomfortable, perhaps you should take a break from babysitting him. I'm completely fine with taking over."

My brows furrowed for a second as I glanced over to the Tronian, and dammit, the creep's eyes were still glued to me like a wolf's gaze to a juicy steak. I shivered and turned my attention back towards Jox. "Yeah sure, go for it. Though, I'm sure it's not his eyes you want on you." I winked and grinned as Jox's skin turned bright pink, his eyes widening.

I patted him on his arm and walked over to the cockpit, my hands finding their way onto the back of Teiken's seat as he concentrated on what he was doing. "So, how much longer till we reach Tronian?" I wondered and glanced down at him, watching as he punched something in a keypad.

"Not sure exactly, but Tronian isn't exactly within our galaxy. I'd estimate about another five hours to go. Perhaps more, perhaps less. I can't be so sure."

I cursed under my breath, not looking forward to five more hours with Creepy Eyes. I glanced over my shoulder towards him, and dammit, he was literally bypassing Jox to stare at me still. Like what the hell, dude? Then again, I did kill his comrades and tie him up as a prisoner...but come on, couldn't he stare at something else for a change?

I narrowed my eyes towards him and sighed before I looked away and sat down on a crate that happened to be close to me, crossing my legs as I leaned my upper half against the wall behind me. "So Delkele," I spoke, catching the barbarian's attention as that crimson gaze flickered in my direction, "according to Teiken, we have about five or so hours left until we make it to Tronian...how about we have a chat, hmn?"

Delkele sighed and crossed his arms over his chest, shaking his head slightly. "And what, pray tell, is there to talk about other than the mission currently at hand?"

I leaned forward on my crate, resting my elbows on my knees as I shrugged and picked an imaginary piece of thread off of my insulated pants. "Oh I don't know, maybe perhaps your relationship with a certain Glacic male? Delkele, I am literally crossing into another galaxy altogether to get my man, so why the hell aren't you trying to get with Jox already? I mean, let's face it, the guy is into you. More than into you, actually. He is totally hot and bothered by you, so why are you so hesitant to get with him?"

It was actually amusing to see those tanned cheeks darken, and for a second I swore that blush spread to the tips of his ears, but I couldn't be too sure with all that crimson hair in the way. "I don't think that's an appropriate conversation for us to be having while we're trying to rescue your husband," he spoke, though, his voice was kind of quiet.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, and even Teiken paused what he was doing to glance at the redhead. "Actually, it's the perfect time considering we have five hours of flight to get through before we even get to our destination." He looked between Delkele and me, and nodded his head before he flicked a switch and stood up, gesturing in our direction. "I'll give the both of you some privacy to talk. There's some things I wish to ask the prisoner. I doubt he will give me anything useful, but it's worth a try."

Delkele's eyes widened slightly, and I swear I saw a pleading look flash within those red orbs as Teiken grinned and closed the cockpit door behind him, leaving just the walking steroid and me. The man stared at me for a moment, before he turned his attention away, and being the annoying man I was, I got up off of my crate and sat down in the seat Teiken had been occupying.

Finally, after a couple of minutes of me intently at him his exterior finally cracked and he slumped in his seat, sighing as he ran a hand through his hair. "You wouldn't understand, Joseph."

My brows rose. "Won't understand what, Delkele? That you're clearly avoiding the idea of being with a man you clearly have the hots for?" I sighed and leaned forward in my seat. "Why are you so hesitant to be with him?"

Delkele remained quiet, the man staring at the mass of buttons that glowed on the console in front of him. Finally, after a moment, he spoke, his voice soft. "I just can't, Joseph. As a king it is my duty to look after the wellbeing of my people, and there are...certain rules that come with such a title. Especially with the customs of my planet. If I...engage in a relationship, it needs to contribute something to the betterment of my people-"

"That's complete bullcrap and you know it." I gestured to myself, watching as Delkele glanced at me from the corners of my eyes. "Asurah and I did it, you could do it to. You just need to be open to the idea."

"It's not as easy as you claim it to be." Finally, the barbarian shifted to face me, sadness swirling in his eyes as he stared down at his hands, and honestly, it was so strange to see this strong man...so vulnerable and small. He fiddled around with his fingers for a moment before those crimson eyes fell onto the door that blocked our view of the room beyond, a small sigh escaping his lips. "I-I'm...I'm already betrothed, Joseph."

A/N: *Gassssssssssssssspppppp* Whaaaaaaaaat?!?! Delkele is already engaged??!?! Oh my, what a revelation!

Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Lemme know what you think of the story so far! And if you have any questions for the characters, don't hesitate to ask them down below!