19

Third Person P.O.V:

September 18th, 2019

Y/n lays in her bed, her head pounding as she stares up at the ceiling. Her eyes flickered at different corners as thoughts ran through her mind like a race track.

Even in incomplete silence, her head pounds like a jackhammer on turbo.

It wasn't a shock that she had gotten worse since her exciting trip to the hospital. Y/n was pretty sure that Hermione didn't know how bad it's gotten, but it was getting harder and harder each month to conceal the grimaces and pained expression on her face when they Facetimed.

As she continued to stare at the ceiling, her doctor's voice began to echo in her mind. His pity-filled eyes seemed to be haunting her.

"The treatment isn't working. I'm sorry Y/n, but we can continue your regular radiation therapy in the hope that maybe we can slowly down the process"

She felt her lip start to tremble, her teeth immediately sinking into her bottom lip as she screwed her eyes shut.

"If you would like, I would be willing to break the news to your family in the waiting room?"

"No. I don't want her to know...yet"

Dr.Weaver gave her a look that she wouldn't forget. It was stoic, but his eyes spoke volumes.

'Don't do that' is what they said.

Blurry vision takes over as tears drip onto the pillow underneath her head. She bites her lips harder, trying to hold back the sobs that want to escape.

Y/n slowly sat up and leaned against the headboard, a shaky breath leaving her lips as she pressed her back against the cold wood.

"Hey"

She was spooked by the sudden voice, turning to find her mother leaning against the doorframe, a not-so-happy look on her face.

"Hey..." Y/n replied as she looked away and wiped away her tears. Her mother pushed off the doorframe and slowly made her way towards the foot of the bed.

"Dr.Weaver called. He told me something interesting." She states as Y/n looks up at her slowly, slightly afraid to meet her gaze. Her mind was telling her to run.

"I'll give you a chance to come clean. Why did you lie?" She asked calmly, and Y/n could feel her throat close. She knew this would happen, but still lied to her mother anyway. Y/n closed her eyes a moment before meeting her mother's gaze.

"I just...I just want to be normal. Even if it was for only a little while." Y/n replied as her mother took a deep breath, and sat down at the foot of the bed, resting one of her legs on the edge.

"Lying about your health, especially to me, isn't the way" Y/m/n replies as she looks down at her hands and runs a few fingertips over her veins. Something else was bothering her, that much Y/n could tell.

"I know" Y/n whispers as familiar guilt starts to bubble in her stomach and up to her chest. She tears her eyes towards the window, in an attempt to push the feeling away.

"Baby, there is no such thing as normal. There are societal standards, but I didn't raise you to be like everyone else. You're a Y/l/n. You're extraordinary." Her mother says as she looks back at her daughter, catching the expression of irritation on her face.

"What if I don't want to be extraordinary? What if I want to be basic? Where I'm just a regular person who can go on regular dates with another regular girl without the threat of my head betraying me!" Y/n yells angrily as she looks back at the older woman. They both knew the anger wasn't directed at her mother, but the tension in the room seemed to put them both on edge.