Chapter 28

"You had a story,
I was listening.
When did I fall in love?"

_____________

A R H A M

"On the basis of secretary's report this meeting is duly convened. The polls for each matter voted at this meeting will open when all of the proposals have been presented and will be closed prior to the adjournment." The manager warmly launched the meeting, standing at one edge of the conference table before the projector, directly opposite where Arham was seated.

'Could it be that I have really fallen in love?'

His cold fingers kept fiddling with the paperweight as his mind battled with tons of the queries bothering him for a while now.

"...the next agenda is the approval of the new marketing strategy..."

'What was I about to confess the other day?' He was busy deciphering his dilemma relinquishing all the talks held in the meeting room that were currently waiting for flick of his pen to be acted upon.

"...the sales of our new product escalated tremendously on the online platform..."

'But how can I fall in love?' His index finger lightly grazed his stubble and the other hand rubbed his temple, indicating that he was in some deep thought. Just to heighten his quandary, voices inside of him launched a tussle.

'And why can't you fall in love? Are you an alien?'

'By the way, how do you know aliens don't fall in love?'

"I just know it somehow."

'Awan, you have officially gone mad.'

"Mr. Chairman, the shareholders have presented their respective point of views. Now you have to finalize one–"

"SHUT UP! Can't you see I am busy!!!" His vexed voice boomed and an uncomfortable silence fell over the hall.

"Meeting adjourned. We'll discuss the latter tomorrow." He promulgated, buttoning up his three piece for the umpteenth time today and imperiously walked out.

Drawing deep calm breaths, he slumped on the Chesterfield. 'What should I do now?'

'Who should I talk with?...Zayyan?...Nah, half the time he'll make fun of me and then ridicule me for the rest of my life.'

"Sir, Mr. Zayyan is here to see you. Should I let him in?" Speak of the devil and the devil is here.

"No, not at all! Make some excuse and kick him out." He bleated, slackening his tie.