Chapter 30

"The idea that we are
so capable of love
but still choose
to be toxic - barbarism."

_________________

E M A A N

E M A A N

"Wh-who are you?"

Despite resolute, her voice resonated as a mere coward whisper: tremulous and quavering.

Rug of goose pimples laminated her frigid, exposed skin. Her lips trembled and the hair on her nape bristled in fret.

Click.

He closed the door behind him.

But he never turned around.

Raising his callous, long fingers in air, each like a tendril of parasitic plant - he signalled her to be quiet. His corded muscles rippled when he raised his hand.

Silence.

Everything fell silent just by the flick of his hand. Only the sounds of her shallow breaths and accelerated heartbeats prevailed.

He rapped his fingers on the polished surface of the door in a sync and hummed a beat along. Albeit it was incoherent, the beat was dark and deep. He hummed as his fingers worked as the instrument; he was amused beyond limits.

"Excuse me?" She said once again when he refused to acknowledge her presence. This time she got a grip on her emotions and sounded confident.

Slow and deliberate, he swirled around to face her. All the blood drained from her face when she saw him.

Different. He was different.

An aura of eerie peril and uncertainty oozed out of him.

His dark, greasy hair were unkempt with few tendrils trickling on his forehead. He had a pale skin, very pale that emphasized his hollow cheeks and chiseled jaw. Lining of a reddish-purple ambiguous scar etched under his right eye. But his eyes were sealed, they never unveiled.

"Who are you?"

Malovelent sneer stretched across his thin lips that made her eyes enlarged. It was enough to send cold chills down her spine. He continued to hum, unbothered.

"Your devastation." His eyes snapped open.

Smoudering grey eyes - stripped of humanity. They were cold and cruel, like a creature who has spent it's life in perpetual shadow.

Alone his look was frightening enough. It made her shudder as if cold harsh wind walloped her.

"I think...you have come to the wrong person." She uncomfortably shifted on her place and bend down to search for her clutch bag, maintaining eye contact with him.