Chapter 31

"Just like the moon,
you can be happy
even when you are incomplete
somedays."

__________________

E M A A N

E M A A N

Her eyes flung open like flashlight beams, a gut-wrenching shriek pierced through her body when she hastily sat up.

Dark. Sheer dark.

Clothes drenched in cold sweat, her heart pounded ghastly. Emaan cautiously looked around but nothing came into view.

Teeth chattering relentlessly and uncontrollably, she couldn't stop herself from shaking terribly.

She got scared out of her wits when suddenly a hand brushed against her bare arm. "Don't...don't touch me."

Pushing the comforter aside, he switched on the side lamp and the room illuminated instantly.

"Is something wrong?" He held her shaky body by shoulders and made her face him.

Sudden feeling of reliability swept through her. "Ar-Arham." She latched onto him robustly and fisted his shirt with her hands. Her tears streaming down dampened his tee.

Enclosing arms around her, Arham pressed her more into his chest. "Shh...Calm down. It's alright." He whispered into her ear, patting her back repeatedly.

"Th-the man...a gun...he'll kill..." As she murmured incoherent words, her lower lip wobbled.

"Relax. It was just a nightmare, just a nightmare." Arham nudged tendrils of her hair away from her eyes and cradled her face with his other hand. With pad of his thumb he wiped the traces of tears imprinted on her cheek.

"No, no...it was not a nightmare. It was real...real." Her head oscillated back and forth, strenuously in denial and she plunged his hands away from her.

"There was...blood." Warily, her quivering fingers grazed her temple in search of any remnants of the deed. There was not even a speck of blood.

"Lis-"

Shoving the bedspread away, Emaan hurtled towards the closet, stumbling in the way. With clammy hands, she inspected her forehead in the mirror, once again still there was not even a trace of any injury.

"How could this be? I remember I was hurt, there was blood...gun..."

"Emaan listen to me, you are perfectly fine. Nothing happened. It was just a nightmare, nothing else." He grasped her elbows firmly this time, emphasizing his speech.

"But-"

"No buts - just calm down."

"Nightmare? It was a nightmare?" She asked, looking in his eyes.