Safe Haven

Third-person...

No one could deny it, the Safe Haven was truly beautiful. Long, beautiful sandy beach with the azure endless sea. Mountains in the background completing the almost perfect look of the peaceful scenery.  

Newt sat on the hill above the camp that the Right Arm managed to built over the short time that they have been here. He needed some time alone. Gone from everyone and from the noise of the bustling place, that he will once need to learn to call his home. Watching the busy buzzing of the camp as people walked around, either working in the gardens...a job he was quite familiar with, or building the shacks. 

It made Newt think back on the Glade. On the time he spent there. Three years locked up with a group of people that he considered friends and family. So many changes the group of them undergo only to end up in a place similar to the one where they grew up. Of course, instead of tall stone walls, there were now mountains lemming the scene which wasn't half bad. And there were no Grievers, but it still missed something. 

Newt glanced down at the sun necklace that he has been clutching in the palm of his hand for what seemed like forever. He allowed himself a sad smile as he watched the light reflect from the smile purple gem in the middle. 

Memoried flooding him as if flashing lights have been flickering in front of his eyes. The first time he met her, the day they decided she would be a Runner. The day they got together and the endless nights they spent together back in the Glade. The happy memories racing to his mind. All now appearing as black and white snippets of what once was and never will be.

WICKED brought them all into a mess that asked for some sacrifices. Innocent people died just because of some experiment. Newt's life got turned upside down and there is no way it will ever be the way it was. 

The sound of quiet footsteps from behind him caused him to wake up from his little daze. Turning his head away from the necklace in his hand he looked up to glance at the tall girl with short brown hair as she stared down at him. 

"Can I sit here?" She asked carefully as if she was afraid of the boy on the ground. Newt nodded turning away from her to glance down at the camp again. He saw Minho talking with Thomas by the fireplace. They saved the lucky shank from the WICKED building at the last second as the building was burning. Fully engulfed by the raging fire. He was bleeding quite heavily back then and spent most of the way to their current destination unconscious. 

Teresa helped them get Thomas on the berg, sacrificing herself along the way. Surprisingly Winter felt bad after she saw the girl fall to her death. The two never saw each other eye to eye but Winter wasn't a completely heartless person and even after all the struggles she had with the other girl she could solemnly say that she didn't want that kind of an end for the girl. 

Instead of looking at Thomas and Minho, she looked at the boy with dark brown hair that was helping Gally plan up the building of the next shack. Eddie. The shock of him announcing that he was actually her brother the day they made it here is still somehow lingering in her. It was a blow of news and it took some time to get used to. But she was grateful for him. At least now she knew why he was so nice from the beginning. 

"I am sorry," Winter said quietly, her eyes fixed forward. 

"You have nothing to be sorry about. It wasn't your fault." Newt said dismissively, not giving much thought to her apologies. He saw no need for them. Winter didn't have much of a choice back then. Newt himself didn't know what he would do in a situation like that. 

"Why do I still feel guilty then?" She asked quietly. Pulling the hood of her new dark blue hoodie over her head to cover her face. Newt turned to her with a soft smile, putting a hand on her shoulder.