I promise

Summer...

I was in my tent. Pacing back and forth angrily. Muttering all known swearwords to myself. But no amount of swearing could calm me down. How could we lose them like that? Why weren't they there? 

So many things were racing through my head. Mainly the blame. Yeah, the heavy feeling of the blame rested upon my heart, pulling me down, lower and lower. I groaned angrily kicking into the backpack that I had by my mattress. 

A cold metal thing hit the skin of my upper chest when I made the sudden movement. My hand flew towards it catching on the cold sun-shaped pendant that was for some years now around my neck. The all too familiar necklace seemed to calm me down slightly. 

It has been too long since I was reminded of the thing around my neck. I have never put it down but I got so used to wearing it that I sometimes forgot it was there. A simple thing like this and yet it means so much. Only the fact that Winter is supposed to wear something similar around her neck means the world. 

"Love," A voice from behind me said causing me to look back at the person who stepped inside the tent. Newt stood there, looking over the damages that I've made in here. "Quite a temper eh?" I rolled my eyes at the comment of my boyfriend. 

"Couldn't help myself," I muttered faintly, trying to avert my eyes from him. 

"Wanna talk about it?" He offered, taking a little step closer to me. I shook my head sinking down on my mattress defeated. 

"I failed her," I said with eyes fixed on the ground. "I should've saved her and I failed." The mattress slumped a bit under Newt's weight as he sat next to me. His arm instantly falling around my shoulders. 

"You didn't fail anyone. We tried." 

"Yeah, but it was for nothing," I growled annoyed. A hand grabbed my face. Forcing me to look Newt in the eyes. His brown love-filled eyes held the sternest look I have ever seen. 

"Now you listen here. You spent six bloody months coming up with the plan. We all did. We all worked our butts off for it. And we didn't get the desired results out of it. But it sure as hell weren't for nothing." He pointed towards the entrance of the tent. "There are proximately 50 kids that we saved today. Sonya and Aris being part of them. So don't you dare say that it was for nothing." Newt said, his hands gripping both of my shoulders tightly. 

It really was admirable how many we saved. It was great that Aris and Sonya were back with us finally. But still, it wasn't my sister. Nor it was Minho. 

"I know," I mumbled. "But it wasn't who I wanted to save," I said solemnly. My voice sounding broken. Newt surely noticed because he pulled me into a tight hug. 

"We will get them back. I promise." He whispered in my ear. A small tear slipped down my cheek. I know I can trust Newt. But a promise like this is hard to keep. 

We all sat in the main building. Aris and Sonya said they will talk to us about what happened and where the train was heading. I must say, Aris, looked worse in the sunlight than it looked on the train. He had a burst lip and dark black eye. His face was terribly pale and sick looking. 

Harriet came over and handed both of them a cup with some tea in it. The two gladly took it and took a swing from it. I guess WICKED isn't known for its hospitality towards their test subjects. 

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us." Aris joked weakly causing me to chuckle. I was sitting in Newt's lap. He wanted to keep an eye on me, in case I would freak out again or something.