chapter 4

Months passed by and neither of them thought about what happened that night. Of course it wasn’t forgotten, but they just didn’t think or talk about it. Dean and Sam had a couple of jobs in the meantime and Cas had some work to do upstairs.  One night in August Dean and Sam were on a job. They had figured out that in a small town something was eating people. It was definitely their kind of thing. People kept disappearing, never came back and sometimes people from the village found limbs. When Dean and Sam arrived, they noticed that the village looked empty. Looked. When they took a closer look they saw shadows moving behind closed curtains. People didn’t even dare to come out anymore. And Sam didn’t blame them. They had no idea what was going on. And to be honest Dean and Sam didn’t know either. That’s why they decided to pay a visit. Dean followed the main road in his beloved Impala 67 and they soon found a motel. Sam checked in while Dean checked the arsenal that was hidden in the back of the car. When he heard someone coming he closed the trunk rapidly, only to find Cas standing behind him. “Cas! You son of a bitch! Don’t just appear behind me! It’s annoying!” “I’m sorry Dean.” Cas said. “but I just wanted to check up on you two. It’s been months since I have seen you in person. I know we have been communicating, but I wanted to check up on you in person.” “I appreciate that Cas, I missed talking to you too.” Dean said. “so now you can help me with getting this bag inside.” Dean stated while throwing a bag at Cas, who easily caught it and walked into their motel room. There was a couch and two beds. Cas put the bag on the table and searched for the remote control. When he finally found it he turned the TV on and watched a show called Doctor Sexy or something like that. When Dean stepped in he wanted to sit down next to Cas, but he thought when Cas saw him watching and enjoying this show, his whole image was gone. With pain in his heart Dean sat down on the bed and tried calling Sam, who magically disappeared after opening the motel room. Just when he wanted to push the ‘call’ button, Sam came walking out the bathroom and greeted Cas. “hey Cas! Long time no see!” he said. Cas gave him a smile. “yeah, thought it was about time to check up on you!” Sam smiled and walked across the room. “I’m going to get us some food.” Dean said and grabbed the keys of his baby. He walked out and started his baby. He smiled and drove off, searching for a place to get some food for the three of them. As he drove he turned the radio on. He heard Nothing Else Matters by Metallica bursting through the speakers and turned up the volume and sang along. While driving he noticed there was something awfully wrong in this little town, but he just couldn’t figure out what. He looked up at the sky but he didn’t see a thing. Weird. When he found a restaurant he ordered the food and waited for it to be ready. He took the food and walked back to the Impala.  When he arrived at the motel again he finally notices what was off when he looked at the trees around the parking spot. They were all covered with almost shining silver thread. How could he have missed that?! Dean felt so stupid. He walked in. “hey, have you already notices there are spider webs covering the trees all around us!” Sam immediately grabbed his laptop and searched. “I think I know what it is!” he said after a few hours. “I think it’s an Arachnes. Arachnes are creatures who have similar abilities as spiders and can breed strong webs, where they catch their victims in.” he read aloud. Dean swallowed. “and how can we kill them?” he asked. “I have no idea.” Sam said. “I’ll call Bobby.” Dean stated and grabbed his phone. “hello? Bobby?” dean asked. “hey, we’re dealing with Arachned here, and we don’t know how to kill them. Do you have any idea? Okay, wait what? Okay I’ll tell him, bye!” Dean hung up and looked at Sam. “they are not easy to kill. They can only be killed by beheading, and bullets and fire cannot kill them.” Dean sighed. Sam frowned and sat down. “that’s going to be difficult. These creatures are incredibly smart. If we have to fight them up in the trees we have no chance, we will get stuck in their webs. Did you see how many webs there were?” Sam asked. “no, but I guess we will find out the next morning.” They looked worried at each other. Then they heard a soft cough coming from the couch, where Cas was still listening to their conversation. “can I help?” he asked. “okay, but why?” “I have been doing all kinds of things upstairs, and it all included sitting in front of a desk all day and practically doing nothing of value, so I figured I can take a break and work on a case with you guys!” Cas said, relieved that he could leave his deskwork behind. “of course you can join, but it will be very dangerous.” Dean said. “Dean, I am an angel of the lord. I can look after myself. And I think that I’m the one you should be least worried about.” Cas said. Dean looked at him with nothing to say. He was right. Why was he always so protective over Cas?