Chapter thirteen

Jessie

It's been hours and he hasn't sent me anything else since he wrote that he was going to change my mind about seeing him this Sunday. Even though I told him that I was insecure about going to his place I have already decided on going. Because even if I try I can't stay away from him. Kai is sitting by the kitchen table going through his school papers. While I sit here on a Friday night in my Harry Potter pj's accompanied by a carton of Ben and Jerry, half baked. I know that Lilly is in Sacramento also celebrating Jaime's birthday. Maybe I should send her a message instead to get some intel on what he is doing. Or who he is talking to. I would kill to become a fly for the night and spy on them.

How is the birthday party? Your boyfriend is very boring :(

I send her a message with a picture attached to it with Kai in the background focussed on his stupid essay. I sigh out loud changing the channels in the tv. Finally finding a channel that is playing 'How to lose a guy in ten days', one of my favorite feel good movies. Well Hudson I tried out your bet and I lost a guy after three days! I might get an award for that if I send them my story. My phone interrupts my fake award winning speech and snaps me back to reality. It's her!

Oh poor baby. I am having a great time! Did you know that Kade was going to be here?

Yes! Thank you Lilly, I didn't even need to bring him up.

No. I have no knowledge of him whatsoever. Is he smiling?

I send her the message knowing that she will get the joke about her making fun of him sometimes for never smiling. Another message. Yatzy! God I am such a dork.

Actually... He is! Which is weird right? But Jaime is having a good time so that's pretty great. You should have come with me

Unfortunately Lilly, that wouldn't be an option. Because I am trying to stay away from Kaden. Obviously it's not going very well but still.

Well that's new? Happy everyone is having fun! Yes, that would have been fun but I have plans tomorrow

I am so far from being happy about him having fun. When he was supposed to focus on changing my mind! I really need to take a step back and remember that everything is not about me. He is celebrating his friend's birthday. He has all the right to be happy. Doesn't mean I like it though. I take another spoon of ice cream and shove it in my mouth to comfort myself.

Yes, look.

Is that a picture of him? With a girl sitting beside him?! A beautiful girl looking like she is whispering in his ear. Lilly is also in the picture but I can't focus on that right now. I am such an idiot! Of course he is not going to be sad about me half- turning him down. Now I just really need to do something to get his attention. If this doesn't work I'll just delete his number and block him so he can't reach me anymore. But before I reply to Lilly's selfie with them in the background.

I never would have thought he could smile that big. I am glad you are having a good time! I'll see you when you get back :)

I hit send and then look up, 'grumpy' in my contact list.

Having fun celebrating Jaime?

I text him. Expecting him to reply in hours. But that's just fine, because then I might be too angry to even care. It's just fine. It's fine!

Not really. I was expecting to just hang out with Jaime but now there are like a hundred people here. How is your night? ;)

Liar! I guess I'll call your bluff Kade-n.