Chapter 27

You were born a heart breaker
Let them down easy kind
You don't know how to fake
You're more whiskey than wine
A pedal to the floorboard
You're a howl at the moon all night long
I can try to hold on
Lord knows you're a wild, wild woman
You're a natural, one of a kind
You're a wild, wild woman
Girl, you know you drive me wild
Wild woman

Ryan's POV

I woke up to an empty bed and the smell
of bacon cooking. I didn't know whether to smile or be a little afraid because if I was not mistaken, Sam didn't cook.

As I walked to the kitchen, I heard her speak, and figured she was talking to the dogs. Sure enough, Sturgill and Shelby were sitting at her feet practically drooling over the smell of bacon, and silently hoping something tasty might fall to the floor.

She was wearing one of my shirts, and not much else, which I didn't understand why because she had clothes of her own here. I wasn't going to complain however. There is nothing sexier than your gorgeous girlfriend wearing your clothes, especially when she had legs like that.

Before I could approach her, I heard her speak. "I'm sorry Tom, that's just not going to work."

Who is Tom? That's when I noticed the Bluetooth headset in her ear.

"That's not going to work either. William already has something scheduled with Axalta at that time."

Ah, Willy had her working this morning. She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and made a hand gesture indicating "yap, yap, yap", and I fought the urge not to laugh. She took a sip of coffee and went on in a polite, yet firm tone. "He has to eat at some point. The only availability he has on Friday is at 2:00."

She paused for several moments, I guess this Tom person was rather long winded. When she set her coffee cup back down, she accidentally knocked the paper plate with a few strips of bacon onto the floor. As expected, Sturgill and Shelby pounced on the food, nearly tripping her in the process. I quickly shooed the dogs away, and took over attending to the rest of the bacon, that was burning on the stove. She shot me a grateful look and resumed her call. I expected her to be frazzled, yet she looked anything but. She was used to multitasking, for the most part anyway. Too bad I was too late to save the bacon, as I placed the charred strips onto a fresh plate and paper towel.

"Oh, it's your son's birthday? How old is he?"I heard her ask. I had a feeling she was about to work some PR magic with this Tom person.

Pause

I threw the ruined bacon into the trash, placed the pan in the sink and continued to eavesdrop.

"Is he a fan?" She asked, her voice was warm and friendly.

Pause

"Here's what I can do. If we can set you up for two, I'll throw in a couple of hot passes for your wife and son and some merch. Since he has nothing else for the rest of the afternoon, I'll also make sure William sets aside some time with your son. We'll get plenty of photos and some autographs. Does that sound like a good birthday?"

Pause

"No, thank you Tom. It's really no trouble. As much as I have to take care of my driver, I also want to take care of our partners as well. I'll leave those passes at the gate for you, and I look forward to meeting you too."

She disconnected the call, and smiled, looking rather pleased with herself, as she should. I was impressed.

"You're really good at what you do. Willy is lucky to have you." I said, realizing that this was the first time I had really seen her in action doing her job. I knew she worked hard, and William was always quick to sing her praises, but I guessed I really never got a chance to see her work because we were usually doing our own thing at the track.