Chapter 22

You can go ahead, girl, and play it safe now
But in a world of squares, baby, love is round
All I need's just a chance to show how
I'm crazy, crazy for you tonight

"Are you sure you don't want to fly to Michigan with me?" Ryan asked me for at least the third time as he drove me to the airport to board the Hendrick Motorsports plane.

"I'm sure. I told you I need this time to go over Will's schedule with him before we get to the track. Besides..."

"Yeah. I know. It will look suspicious." He sighed. I was getting the sense that he was not happy about the sneaking around. I just wasn't sure I was ready to go public yet. Everything was still so new between us. We were still getting to know each other, and I still had no idea where any of this was even going or what I even was to him. Everything had just happened so fast.

"Do you need any help managing?" He asked.

I shook my head. We had purposely arrived ahead of everyone else just so that no one could see us, and we could get my bag stowed away. "No. Thank you though, but I think I've got it from here." I said sweetly, kissing the slight pout from his lips. "I'll see you in a few hours okay? I'll be fine." Then he smiled at me and I felt the butterflies flutter in my stomach and chest.

"Alright. Have a good flight, and I'll see you in a few hours." He kissed me again, almost changing my mind. Nope. I had a job to do. I really did have a lot to go over with William. I had been so wrapped up with Ryan, literally, that I had not spoken to him all week.

"You too. I'll see you soon."

As I waited for everyone else to arrive, I realized this was probably not my best decision. How on earth was I going to even get on the plane alone, with crutches? I would have to rely on someone to help me, and I hated that.

I scrolled through my phone killing time. Social media was very quiet this morning. I was bored, and wishing more and more that I had taken Ryan up on his offer.

"What in the world happened to you?" A voice behind me caused me to nearly drop my phone.

"Hey Will. Long story short, I sprained my ankle. It's fine. I just need to stay off of it for a couple of days." I explained.

"Are you okay for the weekend?" He asked.

"Yes. I'm fine. A little slow, a little clumsy, but I'm ready to go." I laughed.

"How did you get here? Where are your bags?" He asked. Of course he would ask me that.

"A friend brought me. Everything is taken care of." I replied.

"Okay. Well, let me see if we can get you on the plane." He grinned.

*******

The first day and night went much smoother than I expected. Ryan's bus just happened to be parked next to Chase's, so that would make sneaking around much easier.

Our usual group (Ryan, myself, Chase, Courtney. William, Erin, Bubba, Amanda and Alex) all spent the evening hanging out in the drivers lot in front of Chase's bus. There was great food, music, and lots of laughs and cutting up. The only thing missing was Ryan's arm around me. The last few days had gotten me so spoiled to his touch. I was craving it. Ready for this little get together to cease and everyone to go back to their respective busses so that I could sneak on to Ryan's.

Courtney kept giving me the side eye and a smirk because I'm sure she knew what I was thinking. If I didn't watch her, she would end up exposing us. I purposely sat away from Ryan just so I wouldn't be tempted, but I noticed she kept giving him those same little smirks and trying to initiate conversation between Ryan and myself.