EPILOGUE

This is now the epilogue! Special thanks to the following people.
•Sakura_aphea, •itskaecy, •shaynahloho, •-luvusm-, •arianavuterflyyy, •winter_lockhart, •samniyo.  Thank you for patiently waiting for every updates. Happy New year!

Forever

It's everyone's ambition and I do not believe in it. Forever is just a stupid word for foolish people who are so in love. And I'd never contribute to their population. Never. Not a chance.

I was still so young when my parents died due to an ambush, one of the reasons I don't believe in forever. I was so young I could hardly remember what they look like and how good they were as parents. I have no idea what are the memories we had shared together as a family. Their faces were just registered in my head because of the pictures of the pasts.

My life wasn't hard— That's how I believed for years. As I grew up, that was when the fact started banging my realizations. Cornejo and his lover were just our foster parents to keep our title intact within our hands. They aren't our real parents, the reason they don't feel like it.

They tried giving us the care and affection parents usually give their children, but none of it all felt different. We never felt happy and our hearts were never filled with contentment.

"Kuya, what if our parents didn't die? Will we be happier? Do you think everything would be better?" Zan asked while holding a paintbrush on her hand. We were painting in the garden with some of our cousins.

I shrugged. "I don't know, Zan, but most likely yes. Why? You sad? You have me..."

She chuckled. "Just wondering, Kuya. And yeah, I know that I have you with me all the time."

I smiled at her and watched her continue what she was doing. I suddenly remember our talk when we were younger. Dalawa lang kami noon sa entertainment room.

"Will you hate the children of our parents' killers someday, Kuya?" she asked while resting her head on my lap. Nanonood siya ng paborito niyang palabas.

She's friendly but very selective. She doesn't trust people in a heartbeat. You have to earn her trust first. Sa totoo lang, gustong gustong niyang humanap ng mga kaibigan, pero iyon nga, mapili. And what shocks me is that, she always thinks that what if she met one of the children of our parents' killers and didn't know about it for a long time.

"I don't know," I answered, because seriously, I really don't know.

I don't know much about what happened. I just know about the ambush. Hindi ko rin kilala lahat ng kabilang sa dahilan kung bakit naganap ang ambush, pero may isang taong suspect na pinoprotektahan ng mga Drewitt. And I have heard that her family is staying here in Xaiton. Sa looban.

"I always think about it Kuya. I was still a newborn, right? Whan our parents died?" Tumango ako sa tanong niya. "What if they're newborns, too? O hindi pa napanganak noong nangyari iyon?"

Kumunot ang noo ko. I'm a smart kid, but that day I had a hard time understanding what she wanted me to realize.

She continued watching silently, but I think she wasn't digesting the scenes. She's too serious with our talk.

"They don't have matured minds yet to control their parents' decisions. They may share the same blood, but they're innocent. I forgive them."

"If they're innocent, why is there a need for forgiveness?" I chuckled.

Zan shrugged seriously. "I forgive them for being... related to the people who have killed our parents?" Tipid siyang ngumiti. "I don't know. Maybe there are really such things you couldn't explain why there is still a need for forgiveness."