Chapter 10: Living On The Edge

Sorry this chapter is hella long, but I love this scene from the show (not sure if it's in the manga because I haven't read that yet) Plus, I needed to add and remove some dialogue for it to make sense in my story. Anyway, enjoy :)

"Unfortunately, that's all the time we have for today," Yumemi spoke into the microphone at the end of her concert. There were a bunch of boos from the people upset about the ending of the concert. "But don't worry, I'm about to bring on a brand new member," Yumemi spoke with her trademark smile.

"She's cocky, isn't she," Itsuki scoffed to Ryota. Ryota merely nodded as he turned his attention back to the stage.

"I can't wait to introduce her, or maybe you've met her already!" she began to introduce Yumeko, "She has made quite a name for herself here. Hyakkaou Academy, Second Year, Flower Class. Jabami Yumeko."

Yumeko then walked out one of the side doors and walked down the flight of steps to the main stage where Yumemi was standing. Practically everyone was baffled by Yumeko's outfit as most of the crowd gasped.

"How are you feeling Yumeko?" Yumemi asked excitedly.

Yumeko giggled before she answered, "I've never had the opportunity to do something like this before, so I'm a little nervous."

"Okay," Yumemi announced to the crowd, "We're all ready to go!"

"At last it's about to begin, the 'Top Idol Match: of course you can battle match'!" an announcer spoke to the crowd, "Our two contestants are going to try their hand at a variety of games. The winner of each round gets the right to mark one space on this grid."

On a screen behind the pair, there was a tic-tac-toe board set up on the screen to help keep score of the game. "Horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, the first to mark three spaces in a row will be the winner!" they informed the crowd, "There are 9 games they can play, and each will test that contestant's qualities as an idol. You better be ready to bring your idol A-game!"

"Of course, fitting for this academy, the selection process is also a gamble!" the announcer said, receiving cheers from the crowd, "The funds for this event amount to $50 million, and it's winner takes all! Now then, which lady will emerge victorious? There's only one way to find out!"

In the audience, Ryota was trapped in his thoughts. He couldn't stop wondering why Yumeko would accept such a gamble. Did it have something to do with her recent mood? She and Mary had been strained recently, but surely she wouldn't sacrifice her life over something like that? What could she possibly gain from this? Or is it that.... She doesn't aim to gain anything? That thought terrified Ryota the most because he realized that it most likely was Yumeko's reason.

"Yumemi will roll the dice and determine the first game!" The announcer said, pulling Ryota from his thoughts.

"It hasn't even started yet, and I already feel stressed," Itsuki mumbled as she went to bite her nails before stopping herself, likely in fear of ruining them.

Yumemi's roll resulted in a 4 which meant they would do a one-on-one vocal face off. Yumeko never really sang, so she wasn't very confident in her abilities. Still, she managed to get more points than Yumemi by 13 points.

"That's 85 to 98, folks! The winner of game one is Yumeko!" the announcer announced, "Now, which space will you mark?"

"The center one, please," Yumeko said, knowing it was strategic to go for the center plot on the grid when possible.

"Wow, Yumeko. That was amazing!" Yumemi praised. Yumeko, being the attentive being she is, noticed that this was Yumemi putting on a nice face. Not to mention, she also figured this meant Yumemi was confident in her ability to win, so it was quite possible she had some kind of cheat in the game. Yumeko made a note to herself to watch for tricks.