🔰Chapter 17

Aurora Devin's Pov

***************
By the time I finished getting ready for the meeting, it was 10:11 AM. I had rushed as much as I could, aiming to be ready by then, though I was still a few minutes late. I tend to be meticulous about my outfits, which often makes dressing take longer. Thankfully, my mom had organized my clothes into matching pairs for different days, making it easy to select an outfit.

I chose the first ensemble my eyes landed on: a mini, wine-colored accordion skirt paired with a fitted black long-sleeve turtleneck. I complemented the outfit with deep wine stiletto heels and a large nude clutch, into which I packed my relevant documents, pen, jotter, and phone. I decided to let my full, curly hair fall freely as I applied perfume oil on my skin and a light spray on my clothes, finishing off with a subtle touch of loose powder, mascara, and nude-pink lipstick.

Once I was dressed, I hurried to meet Ashley Borgia, who was waiting for me in the living room. Her first comment when she saw me was, “Wow, Aurora, you look beautiful and smell wonderful!”

“Thank you, Ashley, but I think you’re the one who looks elegant and stunning.”

“Trust me, Aurora, it’s you,” she replied, flashing me a warm smile as we headed out for the meeting.

*********************
Upon arriving at the hotel conference room, Ashley quietly opened the glass door, making sure not to make a sound, as the meeting was already in progress, with a pitch being presented. Scanning the room, I noticed we were the only women seated at the table; the rest were men of various ages, some accompanied by personal assistants who stood nearby, jotting down everything that was said.

Despite our attempt to enter unnoticed, we drew attention. The presenter paused, staring in our direction, prompting the others to turn and look as well. Mr. Alexander, however, nodded slightly to the presenter, signaling him to continue, which he did without hesitation.

“They’re all staring at you, Ashley,” I whispered as we took our seats.

“Trust me, Aurora, it’s you they’re captivated by. They’ve seen me before, but you are a fresh face,” she said, giving me a playful blink before jotting down key points from the presentation. I followed suit, knowing Mr. Alexander would ask for details later.

***************************
After several discussions, Ashley presented her pitch, impressing everyone. The meeting concluded at exactly noon. When it ended, Ashley moved to greet some investors, leaving me the perfect opportunity to approach Mr. Alexander. I wanted to apologize for my tardiness and thank him for having Ashley meet me at the suite before the meeting so I could accompany her.

As I walked toward him, he was engrossed in conversation with some directors and investors. I stood a few steps away, heels clicking on the floor, waiting patiently. But when Mr. Alexander noticed me, he abruptly ended his conversation and approached me. My heart raced as he neared. I wished I could read his expression to gauge his mood, but uncertainty gripped me. I looked down at my clutch, avoiding his gaze. Then, I caught a whiff of his sophisticated scent enveloping me, and I knew he was right in front of me.

“Sir!” I exclaimed just as I began to apologize. He gently grasped my wrist, leading me out of the conference room.

“You shouldn’t have stood in those heels. Why didn’t you sit and wait for me instead? Are you trying to hurt yourself?” His voice was calm, yet there was an undercurrent of concern as he walked swiftly but cautiously, ignoring the directors who trailed behind, pleading for his attention.

By the time we reached the hotel entrance, his driver was waiting. Mr. Alexander opened the door for me before entering himself, and we drove off.

“I’m sure you haven’t had breakfast yet. We’ll be going to one of my favorite restaurants here in Thailand for lunch,” he said, typing business messages on his tablet without looking at me.