🔰Chapter 13

Aurora Devin's Pov
**********************
I got to my office, packed up my relevant documents, and placed my notepad, recorder, and phone inside my handbag.

“Hey, Aurora!” Olivia called out from behind just as I was about to shut down my laptop.

“Are you heading out? Do you have a court case today?” she asked, her face filled with curiosity.

“No, I’m not going to court, Olivia.”

“Then why are you packing up to leave during work hours? Do you have an appointment with a client?” she pressed, clearly eager for an answer.

“No, Olivia. I’m going home.” I finally told her, knowing she wouldn’t stop until I gave her a direct answer.

“What? What do you mean by going home? Oh my gosh, I hope it’s not what I’m thinking. I asked about you when I got back, and they said Mr. Alexander called you to his office, but I never imagined this. How could he fire you? You’re the most intelligent and beautiful lawyer I know. Your skills are amazing...."

“Olivia!” I interrupted, “Calm down. It’s not what you’re thinking. I wasn’t fired. I’m going home because I’ll be traveling with Mr. Alexander on a business trip to Thailand early tomorrow. I need to pack and get organized.”

“Wow! Are you serious, Aurora? You’re not joking, right?” Olivia’s face lit up with excitement.

“I’m not joking,” I said calmly.

“Oh my God! This is great! I can't believe it. Hmmm... I think Mr. Alexander likes you. Now it makes sense why he paid for everything you wanted at the Chanel store the other day. And now, he’s taking you on a business trip to Thailand. There’s definitely chemistry between you two,” Olivia teased with a wink.

“I don’t want anyone knowing about this, okay? I’m not ready to be the subject of gossip at the firm. I’m only telling you because you’re my close friend.”

“Of course! My lips are sealed,” Olivia said, miming zipping her lips shut.

“And for the record, Olivia, there’s nothing going on between me and Mr. Alexander. No chemistry, no feelings. It’s just a business trip.”

“But you like him, don’t you?” she teased again, winking.

“No, I don’t,” I replied, rolling my eyes. “I don’t even know why I’m explaining this to you.”

I shut down my laptop, slung my handbag over my shoulder, and gathered the documents I was taking home.

“But wait, Aurora! I have more questions. What’s the business trip about? Are you going to be his assistant, secretary, partner, or personal attorney? Please, tell me!”

“I love you, Olivia, but you ask too many questions. I don’t blame you; you’re a lawyer. But I really have to go now. We’ll talk more later over the phone or when I get back.” I hugged her and left.

Later that Day
**************

When I got home, I went straight to my room and changed into something casual and comfortable, knowing I’d be home all day organizing my things for the trip. I decided to pack light for a week since Mr. Alexander didn’t specify how long we’d be in Thailand, only mentioning the day for the hotel opening.

As I packed and sorted through some case files to take with me, there was a knock on my door.

“Come in! It’s not locked,” I called out, still focused on folding my clothes.

“Aurora, dear, Mary told me you were home early, so I came to check on you. Why are you back? Is everything alright?” My mom’s voice was full of concern as she entered the room.

“Everything’s fine, Mom.”

“Then why are you packing? Are you going somewhere?” she asked, her eyes narrowing with worry.

“Yes, tomorrow. My boss wants me to go on a business trip with him to Thailand. His driver will pick me up early in the morning and take me to their private airport. That’s why I’m home now—I need to pack and get everything in order. You know how much I love being organized,” I explained, still folding clothes.

“But Aurora, Thailand is so far. What’s the trip about?” she asked, gently placing her hand on my wrist to stop me.

“I know, Mom. I was surprised too. The Borgias are opening a new five-star hotel and beach resort in Thailand, and Mr. Alexander wants me to assist with legal work for the opening. So I’ll be acting as both an attorney and personal assistant. Don’t worry, I’ve got this.” I reassured her, kissing her cheek.

“I trust you, Aurora.” She gave me a warm hug. “But wow, your boss is really wealthy. I didn’t know the Borgias also ran hotels and resorts. And out of all the employees at the firm, he chose you to go with him? Is there something going on between you two?” she asked, a playful smile spreading across her face.

“Mom, no! There’s nothing going on. We’re two completely different people. Please stop smiling like that. I know exactly what you’re thinking, and it’s not happening,” I said, resuming my packing.

“But sometimes differences are good, Aurora. Where there’s dislike, there’s often hidden affection, or even love,” she said, like a relationship expert lecturing her student.

“Mom, he doesn’t feel that way about me. I’m sure he’s seeing someone else.” I walked over to my closet, grabbing a pair of black stilettos to add to my travel bag.

“So you think he doesn’t feel that way about you. But do you like him?” she asked, her eyes searching for the truth. Typical mothers, always probing into personal affairs.

“No, Mom. I don’t like him, and I definitely don’t love him. Now, can you please help me pack?” I said, smiling, trying to change the subject.

“Alright, alright, I’ll help. But your eyes are telling me something else,” she teased as she joined me in folding clothes.

“Aurora, these outfits you’re packing look too professional and kind of boring. You’re going to Thailand! At least take one nice beach outfit with you. In fact, you need to repack!” she exclaimed.

“Mom! Are you serious right now?”

“Yes! Empty out that travel bag. I’ll do the packing since you seem to be terrible at it.”

“But, Mom, it’s a business trip!”

“I know, I know. I’ll pick out professional outfits for you too,” she said, already rummaging through my closet.

Oh my God, why did I even ask for her help? I thought to myself, giving a light tap on my forehead.

😘HEY MY LOVELY READERS HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING THIS SHORT CHAPTER AS I ENJOYED WRITING IT. I'M SO EXCITED TO ALSO WRITE THE NEXT😊🌼FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE 🌟