🔰chapter 4

Aurora Devin's POV

After much consideration, I finally made up my mind about the law firm I wanted to join. I checked the time - it was 5:30 p.m. I decided it was time to call the firm and confirm my acceptance.

I opted to call Borgia & Borgia's law firm. Strangely, I was eager and excited, not just to approve the offer, but to hear the voice of the man who had called me earlier, Alexander Borgia. His deep, smooth, yet professional voice had left an impression on me.

As the phone rang, I was disappointed when a woman answered instead. I had hoped it would be Alexander.

Telephone conversation:

"Hello, good evening," I said politely.

"Evening. How may I help you? Who are you, and why are you calling?" the woman replied, her tone unwelcoming.

"I'd like to speak with Mr. Alexander Borgia."

"Alexander isn't here at the moment. And who exactly are you?" she said, rather rudely.

"I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier. My name is Aurora Devin. Mr. Borgia called me about an employment offer, and I'm calling to give my answer before the 6 p.m. deadline," I explained, trying to remain polite despite her demeanor.

"Okay, Miss Aurora Devin. You can leave your message with me. I'm Cassandra, Alexander's close friend and a lawyer at Borgia & Borgia. I'll make sure to tell him when he gets back," she said, plainly, sounding like she wanted the conversation to end quickly.

"Please tell him I've accepted the offer and will begin work on Monday as instructed."

"Got it. Bye," she said abruptly and hung up...

I didn't even get the chance to request a confirmation from him. Her tone had been borderline arrogant, and I couldn't help but think she might be a rather unfriendly person.

********************************
Alexander Borgia's POV

My father, some senior associates, and I agreed that the new hires should start work on Monday. However, my real motivation for personally calling the candidates was because of one in particular - Aurora Devin. I had interviewed her five days ago, and I hadn't been able to stop thinking about her since.

Aurora had been the last candidate I called to follow up on the employment offer. Unlike the others, who all accepted immediately, she had told me she needed time to decide. Her hesitation intrigued me - it was unusual. I told her to call back with her decision by 6 p.m. today, and I sincerely hoped she would say yes.

***************************
I was in my study, which doubled as my home office and library. The room was spacious, filled with shelves of law books and business-related texts. I was searching for a particular law report when I heard the doorbell ring. It was unusual for me to have visitors on a Saturday, but whoever it was must have been someone close, as the security wouldn't have let them through otherwise.

Deciding to answer the door myself, I opened it and saw Cassandra, one of the lawyers at the firm. We had attended Harvard together, but while I went straight into law practice, she took some time off before joining the firm two years ago. Cassandra is an attractive woman, but I had no interest in her romantically. She, on the other hand, seemed determined to catch my attention, often wearing tight, short outfits to work.

"Cassandra, what are you doing here? I don't recall inviting you over," I said, clearly not pleased.

"Alexander, I've told you, call me Cassi. Can't a friend visit another friend? I thought you might need help with the John Marks murder case. I found some new information and decided to show you since the trial starts Monday," she replied, her tone flirtatious as she pushed gently against my chest and entered the house.

"Drop your findings in the study. I'll be downstairs shortly," I said, uninterested in her advances.

***************************
Meanwhile, in the kitchen:

Cassandra: "Roseanne! Roseanne!"

Roseanne: "Yes, Miss Cassandra?"

Cassandra: "What took you so long to answer? Anyway, I need a glass of juice and some biscuits. Bring them to the study."

Roseanne: "Yes, Miss Cassandra."

******************************
When I returned to the study, Cassandra informed me that Aurora had called and accepted the offer. I was pleased to hear this, but irritated that Cassandra had answered the call. I knew her to be arrogant and dismissive, especially toward people she deemed beneath her, given her wealthy upbringing.

"Cassandra, why did you answer my phone? Don't do that again," I said bluntly.

"Why are you upset? I only answered because Aurora kept calling and you weren't here. I thought it might be important, but it turned out to be just some new lawyer. Nothing worth getting worked up about," she responded, dismissively.

"Enough. Her name is Aurora, and I don't want you speaking about her or anyone else that way."

"Oh, I see now. Is she one of those girls you sleep with?" Cassandra asked sarcastically, her jealousy apparent.

"Enough, Cassandra. I don't tolerate anyone addressing others in that manner. You may leave. I'll handle the findings on the case myself," I said coldly.

"You're acting like this because of her, aren't you? Because I answered her call," Cassandra snapped, her tone now bitter.

"This has nothing to do with her. It's about respecting my privacy," I explained.

"Alexander, no one will come between us. Not Aurora. Not anyone," she said fiercely before grabbing her things and storming out of the house.

Thanks for reading!
Feel free to leave your comments and don't forget to vote!🌼