🔰Chapter 11

At the Office...

Aurora Devin's POV

“Good morning,” I said warmly as I entered the conference room, closing the glass door behind me. Spencer was already seated with our client, whom we were about to prep for a claim of assault and battery.

“I’m sorry for being a bit late. I had to clear up some files on my desk,” I whispered to Spencer after I took my seat beside him.

“It’s fine, Aurora. No need to apologize. I was just about to begin. Miss Santiago arrived not too long before you,” Spencer replied, giving me an assuring smile.

“Thank you,” I nodded, then turned to face our client, Miss Santiago, who was seated opposite us, her attention fixed on her phone.

I cleared my throat. “Miss Santiago, it seems you’re quite busy on your phone today. Maybe we should reschedule for a more convenient time…”

“No, no, I’m sorry, Aurora and Spencer, if I seem distracted. I was just replying to my mom. She’s worried and wanted to know if I’m still seeing my boyfriend after… after what he did to me,” she said, her voice tinged with regret.

“Well, your mother’s right. You shouldn’t be with someone who assaults and hits you,” Spencer said with a serious tone of concern.

“I know, Spencer. But I love him. I’m 36 years old, with a good job. All I want is to settle down and have a family. I didn’t even want to sue him at first… but my friends and family keep telling me I shouldn’t let him keep doing this. I’m just so confused,” she admitted, her voice breaking as tears began to flow.

“Miss Santiago, it’s okay to feel confused. I can understand what it’s like to go through emotional pain,” I said softly, walking over to the other side of the room to fetch a box of tissues. I handed it to her, thankful for its presence in moments like these. “But what you’re doing is right, and your friends and family are right, too. You can’t keep letting him treat you this way. Love may be blind, but sometimes, you have to look through it.”

“Thank you, Aurora,” she said, smiling through her tears as she accepted the tissues.

Spencer cleared his throat. “At this point, I think we should reschedule, Miss Santiago. You need to clear any doubts from your mind and decide if you want to go forward with this suit. It will be difficult, but if you want us to prepare you properly for things like cross-examination in court, you need to resolve your feelings quickly. Your next hearing is in two weeks.”

“Spencer is right,” I added. “Take some time to think things through, and we’ll meet again in three days.”

“Okay, I will,” she responded, her expression thoughtful.

“But make sure that when we meet again, you’re certain of what you want,” Spencer said firmly.

“I will. Thank you, Spencer. Thank you, Aurora,” she said before gathering her things and leaving the room.

Once she was gone, I turned to Spencer. “Spencer, you didn’t have to be so direct. One might think you were being cold and insensitive. She just opened up to us about her feelings.”

“I know, Aurora. But someone had to be honest with her. If she carries this kind of emotional baggage into court, she’ll crumble under the pressure of cross-examination. And besides, you told her you understood what it’s like to experience emotional pain. I felt like you were being too soft with her. But… did you mean what you said? Or were you just trying to make her feel better?”

His question pierced me deeper than I expected. “I have to go,” I said abruptly, gathering my things and heading toward the door. But before I could reach the handle, Spencer gently grabbed my wrist.

“Aurora, I didn’t mean to upset you. I just want you to know… you deserve the best. I care about you,” he said softly, his hand warm against my skin.

I could only manage a quiet, “Okay,” as my mind raced. I opened the door and left the conference room.

******************************
While walking back to my office, Spencer's words echoed in my mind. Did he care about me as a friend? Or was there something more?..

“Miss Aurora!” Mr. Alexander’s secretary, Alicia, called out, snapping me out of my thoughts. What does she want now? I whispered to myself.

“How can I help you, Alicia?” I asked, forcing a polite smile.

“Oh, me? I don’t need your help,” she replied with her usual sarcasm. “But Mr. Alexander wants to see you.”

“Really? Are you sure it’s me he wants to see? Maybe you’re mistaken.”

“I’m not. But if you don’t want to go, I’ll gladly tell him you refused,” she said, enjoying the moment.

“Tell him I’ll be there in five minutes,” I responded, keeping my tone professional, refusing to let her get under my skin.

“Okay,” she smirked and walked away.

Oh, how I wish I had the power to fire her,..I thought. She was always so annoying, deliberately trying to provoke me. But why did Mr. Alexander want to see me? Could it be about what happened at the Chanel store? Maybe he wants to flaunt his wealth and ask if I enjoyed spending his money. Or maybe… it’s something else..

..The only way to know is to go and find out...

***********************
After placing my notepad and files on my desk, I glanced at Olivia’s office. She wasn’t there—perhaps she had a case in court. With a deep breath, I headed to Mr. Alexander’s office.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING 📖THIS CHAPTER, AS I ENJOYED WRITING IT📝, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT,😘 I LOVE YOU ALL MY READERS🌼🌻🌸