🔰Chapter 21

Aurora Devin's POV

🥀🖤○●○●○●○●○●

Time flew by so quickly; it has been months since the Thailand trip, and today marks a year of being an associate at Borgia's Law Firm. This past year has been filled with various thrilling cases, each with unique facts.

After the Thailand trip, seeing Mr. Alexander became increasingly difficult. His presence faded from my daily life as he became preoccupied with numerous business transactions and managing the firm. I, too, was avoiding him, which hurt more than I expected. I wanted to see him, but I didn't know how to approach him, especially since he was aware of Mr. Oberon's advances towards me during the opening dinner in Thailand.

To complicate matters, Mr. Oberon had been persistently calling, showering me with pleasantries and attempting to persuade me to go out with him. He even sent expensive gifts through a messenger, leaving me puzzled about how he acquired my phone number and address. When I questioned him, he casually mentioned that it was never an issue to find such details, which made me feel uneasy. Although I knew he had connections, I disliked my privacy being compromised. Each time he reached out, I made it clear that I had no feelings for him, even trying to return the gifts, but there was no way to trace them back to him.

🥀🖤○●○●○●○●•●

Today, the firm held its annual general meeting, and I knew there was no avoiding Mr. Alexander this time, as he was the one to commence the meeting, welcome new lawyers, and promote associates based on their achievements and years of practice.

I remembered how nervous I was a year ago when I joined Borgia's. Many aspiring lawyers dream of working here, but as they say, many are called, but few are chosen.

"Aurora!"

I jolted out of my thoughts at the sound of my name. I was in the printing and binding room, preparing a sensitive case document related to sexual assault and discrimination. I didn't want any printing errors to jeopardize the case. Turning, I saw Olivia approaching. Her bright smile reminded me of the day I gave her an autograph from Olivier Louis, which had made her so happy.

"The meeting is about to start, and Mr. Alexander will soon be in the conference room. Once he's in, no one can enter," Olivia said, concern etched on her face as she helped me gather the documents.

"Thanks, Olivia. I just need to get the last copy from the printer," I replied.

"Alright, I'll drop these off at your desk. Make sure to hurry," she said kindly before leaving.

🥀🖤○●○●○●○●○●○

A few minutes later, after Olivia and I entered the packed conference room, Mr. Alexander arrived. I was grateful to Olivia for speeding me up; otherwise, I would have been late and faced consequences.

Mr. Alexander spoke little during the meeting, delegating most of the agenda to his secretary and senior department heads. He listened intently, ensuring accuracy in their words. After discussing important cases and other agenda items, he promoted several long-serving associates, including Spencer. I noticed Cassandra's disappointment when her name wasn't called; she forced a smile as she applauded Spencer.

Next, Mr. Alexander's secretary, Alicia, called out the names of the new lawyers, welcoming them as they introduced themselves.