🔰chapter 6

Meeting at Alexander's office

Aurora Devin's Pov

I asked for directions to Mr. Alexander Borgia's office, as I hadn’t been there before. I was told I would need to pass through his secretary’s office first—an extension of his own.

I arrived at the secretary's office quickly, not wanting to risk being late. After the meeting in the conference room, Mr. Borgia had instructed all litigation and criminal law lawyers to meet him in his office within ten minutes. It was my first day, and I was determined to make a good impression by being punctual and diligent.

*********************************
I knocked on the door, and Mr. Borgia’s secretary opened it. Her sharp eyes scanned me from head to toe, as if searching for imperfections, before she spoke.

"How may I help you?" she asked, her tone as cold as her expression.

“Uh, hi,” I began awkwardly. “I’m Aurora Devin, a new lawyer in the litigation and criminal law department. Mr. Borgia instructed that all lawyers in my department meet him now.”

"Oh, right. He did mention that," she replied, her gaze softening slightly.

"You're the first one here. Very punctual. You can go in; that door leads to his office. But don’t think that being on time will win you any favor with him." Her voice turned sarcastic, and she gave me a dismissive glance before returning to her computer.

I shrugged off her words and walked toward his office. I hadn't expected to be the first lawyer to arrive, and I certainly didn’t want to be the only one in his office. I didn’t know him, nor what he liked or disliked. What would I even say?

Calm down, Aurora,...I whispered to myself.

I knocked, but there was no response. Tentatively, I turned the handle and stepped inside.

********************************
His office was impressive. It was a large room, decorated in sleek black and white, with a massive glass-and-wood desk at the center. Law books and case files lined his shelves, arranged meticulously. The room exuded power, authority, and wealth, with an atmosphere cooled by perfect air conditioning.

I was still taking it all in when I heard a familiar voice from the corner of the room, near the glass wall overlooking the city.

“Are you going to keep standing there, or would you like to sit?” Mr. Borgia's voice was calm but commanding.

I turned, startled. He was facing the window, but when he spoke again, he turned toward me. I hadn’t noticed how handsome he was until now—his piercing blue eyes, despite showing signs of stress, held a certain allure.

Oh no, why am I so nervous?... I thought, my heart racing.

“Good morning, sir,” I managed to say, my voice shaky. My knees felt weak, and my mind scrambled for words.

“Have a seat, Miss Aurora,” he said, gesturing toward a chair as he sat behind his desk. He leaned back in his leather chair, unbuttoning his suit jacket, and studied me briefly, his eyes moving from my hair down to my shoes without giving away any reaction. He opened his mouth to speak just as the other lawyers entered the room, giving hurried excuses for their lateness.

Mr. Borgia’s expression darkened, but he let it slide.

“This cannot happen again. Am I clear?” he said, his voice firm.

“Yes, sir,” we all responded in unison.

“This warning does not apply to you, Aurora,” he added. “You were punctual, and I expect everyone here to learn from that.”

His praise sent a wave of relief through me, but I kept my expression neutral.

“Now, to the case at hand—the John Mark murder case. The trial begins at noon today. Our investigator, Melissa, uncovered new evidence proving that our client, John Mark, is guilty of both rape and murder. He lied to us, claiming an armed robber committed the crime.” His face was serious. “The prosecuting attorneys are unaware of this evidence, which means we could still win the case, but I want your opinions. Should we continue defending him, knowing he’s guilty, or withdraw from the case?”

His voice held authority, and his eyes scanned the room as he waited for responses.

Before anyone could speak, he added, “And for the benefit of our new colleagues, Aurora and Nathan, please introduce yourselves.”

A slim blonde woman in a form-fitting black dress stepped forward.

“I’ll start,” she said, her eyes narrowing at me before addressing the rest of the room. “I’m Cassandra.”

Her gaze returned to me with a look of disdain.

“In my opinion, we should continue with the case. Clients lie all the time. As long as he pays, we should do our job.” Her tone was indifferent, as if the morality of the situation was irrelevant.

Mr. Borgia looked around the room. “Any other opinions?”

The room was silent. I was frustrated. I couldn’t believe no one was challenging Cassandra’s stance. I had to say something.

“Sir,” I interrupted, my voice hesitant but growing stronger. “I disagree with Cassandra. I don’t think we should defend him. Justice should come first. This man raped and murdered his wife, then lied to us about it. He even tried to frame an innocent man. We can’t let someone like that walk free.”

Mr. Borgia leaned back, his expression thoughtful. “You both make valid points. My decision aligns with Aurora's stance, but we’ll handle the case as Cassandra suggested. We’ll make our money but won’t win this one. I’m stepping back from this case. Cassandra, Spencer—you’ll handle it in court today.”

He gave detailed instructions on how they should proceed, ensuring they would be on the winning side until the case was adjourned. Once that happened, they were to inform the client that the firm would no longer represent him.

“As for Aurora and Nathan, you’ll accompany them to court. Consider this a learning experience,” he concluded.

“Understood,” we all said.

“If no one has anything further, you're dismissed. Cassandra, Spencer—don’t forget what I told you.”.

THANKS FOR READING THIS CHAPTER, HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING IT AND DON'T FORGET TO GIVE YOUR VOTE🌼🌸