🔰chapter 5

FIRST DAY AT Work

Aurora Devin's Pov

Today is my first day at Borgia & Borgia Law Firm, and being punctual is my top priority. I’ve chosen a fitted black skirt and a crisp white shirt, paired with black heels...smart yet stylish, a perfect fit for a lawyer. My long, curly hair is pulled back into a ponytail, with a few curls left to frame my face. Light makeup finishes the look, enhancing my natural beauty.

*****
Upon arrival, the receptionist directed me to my office. It’s a small, open office...not enclosed but comfortable, a great start for a junior lawyer. I’m optimistic that as I grow and prove myself, I’ll earn a promotion and a larger, enclosed space.

Next to my office were two others, likely for the new hires who started alongside me. Not long after I settled in, a curvy young woman in a sleek black dress approached.

“Hello, good morning! I’m Olivia, and it’s my first day here,” she said with a warm smile.

“Good morning! I’m Aurora Devin, but you can call me Aurora. It’s my first day too,” I replied, smiling back.

“Really?” she asked, her excitement obvious.

“Yes, really!” I responded with equal enthusiasm.

“Well, I think we’re going to be good friends. My office is right next to yours,” she said cheerfully.

“I think so too,” I replied.

“There’s another office next to mine. It must be for another new hire,” she observed.

“Probably.”

“I hope it’s a guy,” she said with a mischievous grin.

“Why a guy?” I asked, laughing.

“I could use some male company,” she teased, making us both laugh.

“Well, Olivia, your wish might be granted. I see a handsome male lawyer heading our way.”

“Really? Let me see!” She adjusted her chair. “Wow, he’s cute! Let me fix my dress.”

The male lawyer walked up to us.

“Good morning,” he said in a professional tone.

“Good morning,” Olivia and I replied in unison.

“I’m Nathan. The receptionist said my office is around here,” he said, glancing around.

“Yes, it’s right next to mine. I’m Olivia, and this is Aurora. We’re both new as well,” Olivia said with a welcoming smile.

“Thanks, Olivia and Aurora,” Nathan responded, his tone distant. He seemed focused on work rather than making friends, and he quickly made his way to his office.

**************************
Within half an hour, all the lawyers were called to the conference room for a brief meeting with the firm’s principal partners. As we entered, some stood while department heads and equity members sat. We waited about ten minutes, as one of the firm’s rules dictated that all lawyers must be present before the partners arrive.

Curious, I scanned the room for the handsome lawyer who had sat next to the man who interviewed me. But I couldn’t find him. Where could he be? I also wondered what the partners would be like, especially since I’d spoken to the second principal partner over the phone when I accepted the offer. I liked his voice, and now I was eager to see him in person.

After ten minutes, two men entered. To my surprise, I recognized them both...the elderly man who interviewed me, and the handsome lawyer who had been seated beside him that day.

Everyone stood and greeted them. The two men moved to the center of the conference table, and the elderly man began to speak.

“Good day, everyone. This will be a quick meeting as we have several cases in court today, handled by different departments,” he said with authority. “The purpose of this meeting is to introduce the newly employed lawyers: Miss Aurora Devin, Miss Olivia Smith, and Mr. Nathan Evans. Please step forward.”

As we moved forward, the room filled with applause.

“My name is Mr. Patrick Borgia, founder and principal owner of Borgia & Borgia Law Firm. Standing beside me is my son, Alexander Borgia, the vice principal of the firm and one of the best lawyers in America,” he said proudly. “We’ve built this firm together, and as you can see, we’ve achieved great success because of the talented lawyers we hire. We expect nothing less than excellence from you. Now, I’ll leave it to my son to introduce himself and explain the various departments.”

Mr. Patrick Borgia left the room, leaving Alexander to address us.

“Good day, everyone,” Alexander began. His voice captivated the female lawyers, and I could see many admiring him. His sharp features and deep blue eyes were mesmerizing, and I could understand why people were drawn to him. But I reminded myself not to fall for his charm.

“Miss Aurora Devin, Miss Olivia Smith, Mr. Nathan Evans, welcome to the firm. As my father mentioned, we have various departments, including the Litigation and Criminal Defense Department, which I oversee. Aurora, you’ll be working under me in this department, but you may assist other departments as needed. Olivia, you’ll be in the Litigation and Family Law Department, assisting the divorce lawyers. Nathan, you’ll also be in the Litigation and Criminal Defense Department, with additional duties in the Transaction Law Department.”

He continued, “We believe in teamwork here, so be ready to collaborate. Any questions?”

“No, sir,” we all replied.

“Good. Litigation and criminal defense lawyers, meet me in my office in 10 minutes,” he concluded, leaving the room.

******************************
Back in my office, I gathered my notepad, pen, and recorder, ready for my first day of work. As I prepared to head to Alexander’s office, I couldn’t shake the feeling of his eyes on me during the meeting. Whenever our gazes met, my heart skipped a beat. But I couldn’t let myself fall for his looks. Men like him, I reminded myself, often get what they want because of their appearance. And I wasn’t about to become just another admirer.

Thank you for reading! Don’t forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter! 🌟❤️