🔰chapter 10

Aurora Devin's Pov

I tossed and turned on my bed, finally opening my eyes to the bright morning light. The weather felt warm and cool, a pleasant contrast to my restless night. I woke up feeling tired, as if I hadn’t slept enough. Thoughts of yesterday at Mr. Alexander's office replayed in my mind...At least I managed to convince him not to change my department.

Thank God today is Saturday. I just want to clear my head, have fun, go shopping, watch a movie, and relax. If Mr. Alexander doesn't want to see me, that’s fine. I don’t want to deal with an insensitive, bossy, and cold person anyway.

I knelt by my bedside for my morning prayers, then headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

***********
As I brushed, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair was in a messy bun, looking cute yet scattered. I examined my face, noting the dark circles under my brownish eyes. They were a testament to my stress over the past week. I rinsed my mouth and left the bathroom.

I picked up my phone and called Olivia, hoping she wasn’t busy so we could hang out today. We’d become fast friends since starting at the law firm, bonding over our shared experiences.

Telephone conversation:

“Hey, Olivia, good morning! How was your night?” I asked pleasantly.

“Good morning, Princess Aurora! My night was great; I kept dreaming of Nathan!” Olivia replied excitedly.

“So, you still haven’t gotten over your crush on Nathan?” I teased.

“No, and being near him at work makes me want him even more!” she exclaimed dramatically.

I laughed. “You don’t even know if he has a girlfriend. Anyway, I think it’s just a crush. It’ll fade.”

“Really? He has a girlfriend?!” she replied, sounding shocked.

“No, no! I was just joking!” I hurriedly clarified.

“You scared me! I’ll get you back for this!” she promised.

“Okay, okay. Anyway, I called to see if you wanted to hang out today—shopping, maybe a movie?”

“Yes! I’ve been dying to go out and relax!” she exclaimed.

“Great! Let’s meet at the city park at 3 PM.”

“Yes, see you then!”...

******
I placed my phone back on the bedside table and went downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast.

As I entered the kitchen, I saw Mary, our housekeeper, arranging plates.

“Good morning, Mary,” I greeted.

“Good morning, Miss Aurora! Your food is in the microwave. Your parents went out, and I didn’t want to wake you,” she explained.

“Thanks, Mary. What about Cory?”

“He's upstairs working on a school assignment.”

“I’m going out by 3 PM today,” I said while grabbing a bottle of cold water from the fridge. “Could you bring me some fruit to my room?”

“Of course, Miss Aurora,” she replied.

*********
Once in my room, I settled down to study some case files while munching on the fruit Mary had brought. Time flew, and suddenly I realized it was 1:45 PM. I hadn’t even started getting ready!

I closed the file and rushed to the bathroom. After a quick shower, I dried off, applied cream, and picked out an outfit—blue jeans that flattered my figure and a cozy sweater. I let my curly hair fall freely and applied a bit of makeup before checking the time again. It was 2:25 PM. I had to leave now!