FIVE || RIDDLE

Slumping my shoulders, I grudgingly picked up my things and trudged to Riddle's spot in the front corner.

I set out everything on the desk, trying to ignore the obvious silence when everyone else was chatting away.

I finally couldn't take it anymore.

Yes the man was a narcissistic torturer but I was still human! Sitting awkwardly and fidgeting with my ring, I finally turned his way.

"Hello Riddle! I'm Evelyn Granger. I guess we'll be partners for the rest of the year so we should probably get acquainted." I finished with a smile.

Completely ignoring me, he started scratching away with a quill in his notebook. "Erm... Alright then." I said, dejected. My Hufflepuff spirits had been destroyed - how dare he!?

Moments later, Slughorn began speaking.

"Now that you've settled in, I have a fabulous surprise for you all! How about a little competition? I assume everyone here has heard of Amortentia." Seeing many confused faces throughout the class, Slughorn sighed.

"Alright then, class. Who knows what Amortentia is?"

Riddle's hand shot up.

"Ah, Tom m'boy, tell us." Slughorn said, relieved.

"Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the world, although it doesn't really create love, of course. It is impossible to manufacture or imitate love. No, this will simply cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. It is probably the most dangerous and powerful potion in this room."

Smartass. Know-it-all. Teacher's pet. Monster.

Riddle, looking smug, went back to writing in his journal. Slughorn looked at us again. "Alright then, you know what we will be doing. Hurry up and retrieve your ingredients."

People started debating who would bring the ingredients. I was determined to stay glued to my seat. I wouldn't even dream of going. If Riddle refused to get up and move his arrogant arse to bring the ingredients, I would be perfectly content with a T (Troll).

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Slughorn exclaimed.

Everyone paused.

"Whichever duo that creates the best potion receives a prize." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny vial. "Does anyone know what this is?"

My hand shot up. For once I knew the answer.

Slughorn, looking surprised, pointed at me.

"Professor, Felix Felicis, also called 'Liquid Luck', is a magical potion that makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, during which everything they attempt will be successful. It turns an ordinary day into an extraordinary one."

"Excellent Ms. Granger. 10 points to Hufflepuff. Alright then -"

Riddle's hand shot up once again.

"Yes?"

"To add to Ms. Granger's answer, it is also meant to be used sparingly, however, as it causes giddiness, recklessness, and dangerous overconfidence if taken in excess. Felix is highly toxic in large quantities and is also a banned substance in all organised competitions, such as Quidditch, along with all other methods of cheating. It is very difficult to make, disastrous if made wrong, and requires six months to stew before it is ready to be consumed."

"Yes, you're right! I am so honoured to have such a dedicated student in my class! 20 points to Slytherin."

Going scarlett, I looked down.

Of course Slughorn would praise him and not me.

"Alright then, hurry up! Go get your ingredients." Slughorn quickly said. Most of the Hufflepuff's got up and went to get ingredients for their, not wanting to continue arguing.

I clung on to my pride and stayed sitting. Riddle simply continued writing in his journal without even glancing up, as if he was expecting that I would bring the ingredients.

He finally looked at me.

"Granger, can you not read? It's really not that hard. Go get the ingredients."

"Well Riddle, believe it or not I can read. Go get them yourself. Since you are as blind as you accuse me to be, this is what we need; an Ashwinder egg, a Rose thorn, -"

"- Peppermint, Powered moonstone, and Pearl dust. So you can read. Go get it."

"Nope."

"..."

"..."

"Get. It." He growled, finally losing his patience.

"Nope!" I said with a smile, popping the P.

Riddle suddenly gave me a deathly glare. It was as if he was staring into my soul. He really could have been - he was a powerful wizard after all.

My blood turned cold.

There was a flash of a malevolent glint in his eyes.

I could swear they turned red... it must have been a trick of the light, right?

He looked like he was considering something for a moment. He leaned over to my side of the table.

"You will regret this," He calmly whispered into my ear.