Chapter 12 - A Bite

Time goes by. We continue with our out of sync routine, the aggressor of the corridor doesn't manifest himself again. Day after day Malfoy seems less and less shocked to wake up in my arms. He just looks at me with some embarrassment and gets up with a vague 'good morning'. Sometimes at night I hear him touching himself in my back, when he thinks I'm sleeping. I have to confess that every time he does that, I have to take a cold shower.

St Mungo's Hospital send us a letter during the first week of December. They share with us the few information they found in their archive about blood curse. They differ a lot from one case to another, some blood maledictions are just a burden, causing a certain pain to the one who has to deal with the curse, and some are lethal. Usually a blood malediction affects the victim and can also resurface in one of his descendants.

Blood curse can't be cured.

But they never had any Maledictus in the Hospital.

This isn't very reassuring. The letter of the Being Division comes five days later and doesn't calm my roommate's anxiety either. The Ministry doesn't have a lot of information on Maledictus, however, they encourage us strongly to write to the French Ministry. Their... 'Bureaux de la Justice Magique' always keeps a close eyes on Maledictus, because a great scandal happened during the end of the twenties. They monitor Maledictus as severely as the British Ministry monitors Animagi, since they can change into animals at will. They have a list of them. McGonagall decides to follow their advice and sends an owl to Paris within the end of the day.

I grow more and more worried for Malfoy. He seems to be really affected since Hermione brought up her theory about the blood curse. He's less scathing... Sometimes he's agitated and looks preoccupied, but the day after he's apathetic, distracted.

What bothers me is that, when he is a snake, he has more and more absences like he had in Flitwick's classroom. I have to run behind him and call his name several times for him to turn back to normal... It's as if his mind was overwhelmed by the mind of a real snake... and that he has to struggle to get the upper hand again.

I can't resolve myself to mention this to the others. It seems too crazy... and we already have enough on our plate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We don't have morning class today. Ron, Hermione, Neville and I are in the Gryffindor common room to revise our NEWT. Malfoy (in his scaly suit) is on the arm of the sofa. He taps his tail nervously against my leg, he has been in a bad mood all day. He starts when there are loud sounds and glares at the people around him. I didn't hear him say a word for more than an hour.

I lay my book on my laps and sigh. I catch sight of Dennis Creevey at the end of the room. He's fifteen, but he's in his fourth year. His brother and him didn't return to school last year because they were muggle-born, but Colin Creevey took part to the final battle... and he died.

Dennis grew up several inches, but he's really lean and his skin is dull. I'm shocked to see him so quiet. He was very lively before...

Feeling my eyes on him, he lifts up his head. When he sees me, he gives me a feeble, faint smile and turns back to his own revision.

I elbow Hermione, who looks at me questioningly. I nod towards Dennis.

"How is he doing?" I whisper.

She sighs empathetically.

"He has been really affected by his older brother's death... "

"I hope he'll get some of his exuberance back. He used to be so enthusiastic about everything..."

"I think he needs time to heal his wounds."

"I guess you're right-"

Two second years enter the common room, talking and giggling, Malfoy starts again. He coils himself into a little green ball. I can feel his irritation increasing by the minute, he's about to blow up. I have to take him into some quieter place...

"Can you give me that book, Hermione?" Neville asks, pointing a grimoire next to her.

"Sure."

She wants to lay her hand on the arm of the sofa to transfer her weight and lean on to pass him the spell book. But she doesn't notice that she nearly crushes the snake. He jerks backwards, scared.

"SSSSSSHHH!" he hisses. "Go away!"

He strikes, she shrieks.

She removes her arm away, he only bites her sleeves.

"Shite!" Ron swears.

"Malfoy! Stop!" I shout in shock.

Everybody steps back, Collin jumps to his feet, scared. The second year girls gasp, Neville's eyes widen in shock.

"... rip out! Rip out and kill!" he shouts, panicking.

"Malfoy, no!"

Ron jumps in front of Hermione, the snake attacks again.

It bites my best friend to the arm.

.

.

.

A very drarry Christmas everyone !

(If you don't know how a white-lipped pit viper looks like, here is one ! It's almost cute, isn't it? ^^)