Guilty

Then I turn around 

There he is 

And the room is bright 

Where he is 

Don't I ever learn? 

No, I stand here wanting 

Wanting him 

(“Wanting,” Rags

Chapter 13: Guilty

            The next morning, Robin and I only spoke when necessary as we dressed for the day. He still helped me tie my bodice but disappeared to help Roland once the task was complete. At the table, Roland didn’t seem to notice our strange behavior as he kept going on about something Prince Charming had shown the boys the day before. I felt bad for not listening, for being too preoccupied with my own problems, but I couldn’t stop the thoughts spinning through my mind. 

            After breakfast, I sent Roland on to his lessons before I grabbed my cloak. By my reckoning, it was late October, almost early November. The weather had turn cold and blustery, warning that winter was almost near. I was going to need warmer garments but would focus on that once I solved my other problem: Robin. 

            I raced down the Merry Men’s encampment. While Robin had chosen to stay in the palace, his men still felt more comfortable outside. So Charming and Snow designated a large piece of land theirs, a piece that wasn’t far from the palace. They had set up their tents in a circle, reminding me of the Westerns my father loved and how the pioneers would “circle the wagons” for protection against animals and Native Americans. 

            Much looked up as I approached camp, smiling. “Lady Locksley! If you’re looking for Robin, he isn’t here.” 

            “I know. I’m actually looking for Friar Tuck. Is he here?” I twisted my cloak in my hands. 

            Friar Tuck emerged from a nearby tent, also smiling. “I am here, Regina. How can I help you?” 

            “Is there some place we can talk in private?” 

            He nodded, holding out his arm to her.  “Why don’t we go for a walk?” 

            I linked my arms with his and let him guide me away from camp. He patted my hand. “What’s wrong?” 

            “It’s about me and Robin.” I sighed. “Friar Tuck, what do you know of my situation?” 

            “Since I was at the ceremony binding you to Robin for your own protection, I assume you’re talking about how you are a married woman from another world?” Friar Tuck raised an eyebrow at me. 

            I nodded. “I kissed Robin.” 

            “I’ve seen you kiss Robin all the time. The cheek, the forehead…” 

            “On the lips. With passion.” I stopped and faced him. “I kissed a man who is not my husband and I liked it.” 

            “Ahh, I see the problem.” Friar Tuck motioned to a log. “Why don’t we sit, Regina?” 

            I gathered my skirts as we sat down on the log, our knees almost touching as we faced each other. Tuck placed his hand back on mine. “Tell me what happened.”