Home Sweet Home

Through the years, I'll recall this day

In your arms, when I finally found my way

To a place called home

And to a life with you

("A Place Called Home," A Christmas Carol the Musical)  

 Chapter 27: Home Sweet Home 

            Robin and I journeyed back to the palace, giddy like a pair of newlyweds. In some ways, I guessed we were. I had chosen him and finally voiced aloud my feelings for him. That would make anyone giddy, I believed.

            When we returned to the glen not far from the palace, I stopped him. "It's the one year anniversary of when we first met."

            "Yes, it is." Robin pulled me close, his hands resting on my hips as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "And it's been a year I'll never forget."

            "Same here." I pulled his head down, kissing him. He responded with fervor and I began undoing the laces on his vest.

            Robin stilled my hand, breaking the kiss. "I would love to take you here and now, Regina, but we do need to get back to the palace. It isn't safe out in the open."

            We were almost back at the palace, so I guessed I could wait for a few more hours. I kissed him and nodded. "Then let's get back home."

            "As milady wishes." He took my hand and led me back toward the road.

            The palace rose ahead of us and I almost cried from joy. I wanted to run the rest of the way, but I figured I'd probably drop from exhaustion before I even made it across the bridge into the courtyard. Still, I noticed Robin did pick up our pace a bit. He was just as eager to get there as me.

            Robin shouted up to the guard manning the gate, telling the man to let us in. Once the guard confirmed who we were, the iron gates rose up inch by agonizing inch. "Can't they go up any faster?" I muttered.

            "Patience, love." He chuckled as he squeezed my hand. "We'll be inside soon."

            Once we were, I found myself again under a pile of Merry Men. "Welcome back, Lady Locksley! We're very glad to see you," I heard Alan say, though I didn't know where he was.

            "I'm glad to see you too. Well, parts of most of you."

            As the men chuckled, Robin called them off me. "Why do you keep trying to smother my wife?" he asked them, exasperated.

            The Merry Men looked sheepish before Little John ventured an answer. "We love her as much as we love you, Robin. And I guess it's easy to forget she's a lot shorter than you."